cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move telephone entry point

befrazzled
On our wavelength

I'd like to arrange for the landline entry point to be moved. How can I arrange a date and confirm cost and what work is included? Does this include what I believe is called a dry lining knockout box for the surface plate to fasten to?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@befrazzled wrote:

Hi

If we move to the new service is it still a separate cable through the wall for the phone? Does it still need some sort of wall housing where it enters? And then a cable to the hub and hub to the phone? Is there any image of a typical set up to aid visualising? Is there a charge for this new style service install?

Thanks.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

VM provides you with the white adapter shown. You plug it into TEL1 socket on the VM hub. You plug your phone into the adapter.

Once switched over, all your phone sockets in the home stop working.

The only phone socket available is the TEL1 socket on the back of the VM hub.

This TEL1 socket serves the same function as the old 'telephone master socket' did.

If you still need your telephone wall sockets to work after the switchover, VM can send a technician (free of charge) who will link the telephone wall socket to TEL1 on the back of the hub.

The telephone wall sockets will work once more but, now, they will be running via the VM hub.

The switchover to this method is a rolling programme of work across the country for VM. At some point you (and all VM customers) will be switched in this way. There is no charge for the switchover.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @befrazzled,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your public post and your query.

We are able to arrange for an appointment to have your landline connection point moved, however, this will have a £25 charge for the appointment. Our team will be able to attend your property and do all they can to move your connection point.

Please be aware that we're slowly making the transition from socket connected landlines to fibre connected landlines in our Home Phone Switchover. Take a look and read more about this process we're working on implementing to all customers with a landline connection.

Please let me know if you're okay with the appointment charge and I'll be able to send you a Private Message to confirm further details if you're happy to go ahead.

Thank you. 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@befrazzled wrote:

I'd like to arrange for the landline entry point to be moved. How can I arrange a date and confirm cost and what work is included? Does this include what I believe is called a dry lining knockout box for the surface plate to fasten to?

Thanks.

You posted about moving to a 21CV phone connection back in Oct 2022. Did that happen or are you still not using the phone connection from the back of the VM hub.

Worth noting that when you are moved to a 21CV phone connection from the back of the VM hub as part of the switchover programme, VM should modify your existing phone sockets to work via the VM hub free of charge as part of the switchover process. That may/may not influence your decision to spent the £25 on a tech visit if you have not yet been 'switched'.

befrazzled
On our wavelength

Hi goslow,

No, nothing happened. There didn't seem to be a schedule for the switchover time for my area, so we're now nearer to wanting the move and still no wiser about the switchover date. This will likely force us to pay to move the existing connection.

Also, I'm not even sure if we need it for our tv or broadband service or if it can be dropped from our package if we wanted to. it's not getting much use but is physically in the wrong place.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi befrazzled 👋

Thanks for popping back with some more information on this. After taking a look, it does appear that your area is now eligible to be transferred to the 21CV service (should you wish).

In regard to your second post, you don't need a Landline service to have TV and Broadband, but keeping the Landline can sometimes work out better, pricing-wise, and for unexpected emergencies. Just to confirm, would you be wanting the Landline entry point to be closer to the Hub?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

@befrazzled wrote:

Hi goslow,

No, nothing happened. There didn't seem to be a schedule for the switchover time for my area, so we're now nearer to wanting the move and still no wiser about the switchover date. This will likely force us to pay to move the existing connection.

Are you wanting to move the phone socket right now for another reason (unrelated to the switchover)?

Are you asking about a switchover because connecting the phone to the back of the VM hub would put it in a better location in your home for use now?

What type of phone(s) are you using at present, corded or cordless?

Hi

If we move to the new service is it still a separate cable through the wall for the phone? Does it still need some sort of wall housing where it enters? And then a cable to the hub and hub to the phone? Is there any image of a typical set up to aid visualising? Is there a charge for this new style service install?

Thanks.

@befrazzled wrote:

Hi

Thanks.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

VM provides you with the white adapter shown. You plug it into TEL1 socket on the VM hub. You plug your phone into the adapter.

Once switched over, all your phone sockets in the home stop working.

The only phone socket available is the TEL1 socket on the back of the VM hub.

This TEL1 socket serves the same function as the old 'telephone master socket' did.

If you still need your telephone wall sockets to work after the switchover, VM can send a technician (free of charge) who will link the telephone wall socket to TEL1 on the back of the hub.

The telephone wall sockets will work once more but, now, they will be running via the VM hub.

The switchover to this method is a rolling programme of work across the country for VM. At some point you (and all VM customers) will be switched in this way. There is no charge for the switchover.

Hey @befrazzled,

Thanks for getting back to us, with regards to the switchover, no it would no longer require a wall connection directly to the phone, instead the phone cable would come out of the internet Hub. You can find all information regarding the switchover here.

Hope this helps. Joe