cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect my landline phone to my VM Superhub3

DenisTV
Tuning in

Hello, 

I currently use a mobile phone and have no landline phone. I would like to buy a old fashioned landline phone that I would normally plug into my wall socket, RJ11 I think its called, if get the suitable adaptor to allow me to plug into my VM Superhub Tel 1  will my phone work, or do i need a fancy phone .. digital?? 

Denis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DenisTV You need to sign into the settings page using the settings passcode printed on the bottom of the router, unless you have previously changed it to your own passcode.

The old style VM phone lines don't come via a wire from an Open Reach telegraph pole.  The VM landline is carried through the siamese cable that comes from the local VM cabinet into the Omni box of the outside of your property. From there it should be connected to a phone socket somewhere inside your property.  All this assumes that you have been connected to VM for some years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DenisTV,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, in regards to plugging a phone into your Router you must have landline as part of your package, the phones you would need to use for this would be a more up to date Dect phone. ^PDe 

Hi 

Thanks for reply.

I do have actually have a landline in my package with VM but never used it, didnt even have a phone.  But now I want to buy a landline phone but unsure if I can just plug into my Superhub and expect it to work. I have heard differing things about the phone I plant buy, the BT4000, it is described as a DECT phone but then I have heard that the phone is actually analogue. I have figured out that I will need and adapter from RJ11 to BT 4 wire connect and have ordered one, but not sure if the BT4000 will work with the Superhub. Another advisor has saifd that I need to check if my Virgin service is VoIP, I dont know if it is, and I have given up trying to speak to a human at Virgin who even understands English, spent 2 frustrating hour earlier. Virgin customer service is actually a disgrace putting people through to some far East call centre that are pretty much useless. Sorry rant over. 

Denis

Hi Denis,

Sorry for the lack of information and help when you have called us, as long as the phone is a DECT phone this would work, were you given an adaptor for the Hub when installed?

You can find out more around our 21st Century Voice here.

Regards

Paul. 

Hi 

No, I didnt get any adapters with my Superhub. The hub was sent to me with instructions for me to install it myself which I did.

I have seen that the BT4000 is described as a 'DEFT' phone but when I queried this in more depth with the phone supplier he said the DEFT was referring to the connection between phone and its base, but he thought the phone itself is analogue. He suggested that I should contact VM so establish if the Superhub3 would accept the BT4000. As I said earlier I have tried this but couldnt get to speak to anyone who knew the answer - after 2 hours on the phone!

Everyone keeps passing me from pillar to post. I am reluctant to just buy this phone blindly and waste my money if it wont work. 

Denis

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DenisTV If you log into the Hub3 settings page at http://192.168.0.1/ you will be able to see if Telephony is enabled on the Hub.  Look at the Hub status overview section.

If it says disabled then your connection has not yet been converted.  In which case you should have a traditional telephone socket labelled as VM somewhere near where the Hub is connected to the incoming cable.  The box will look very similar to a BT master phone socket.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi 

Thanks Graham for your reply, much appreciated.

I have clicked the link you provided, and clicked the 'Staus@ tab but I dont see anything that says if it is enabled or disabled, only :  'Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)'    'Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)'   'Provisioning State'       I clicked the 'Configuaration' tab and there is something called 'Baseline Privacy' and it says 'Enabled'. 

If it is not Enabled as you say then it looks like I am stumped because I not longer have a old fashioned traditional line from the pole in the street. 

Denis

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can see from our system that you was able to speak with an agent today who has advised that this is resolved - just to make sure, can you let me know if this is the case? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DenisTV You need to sign into the settings page using the settings passcode printed on the bottom of the router, unless you have previously changed it to your own passcode.

The old style VM phone lines don't come via a wire from an Open Reach telegraph pole.  The VM landline is carried through the siamese cable that comes from the local VM cabinet into the Omni box of the outside of your property. From there it should be connected to a phone socket somewhere inside your property.  All this assumes that you have been connected to VM for some years.

Hi Ryan,

It is not resolved entirely. After speaking to two separate agents who couldnt help me or understand me for that matter (after waiting on the phone for half an hour each time) I eventually spoke to a really helpful agent in your South African call centre. He has sent me an adapter, but he didnt know if the BT4000 phone I have would work with my Superhub 3. I bought this phone because I was informed by your agent that Virgin do not supply the actual phone only the line, but nobody at VM could tell me phones are compatible to be plugged into Tel1 socket of my SH3.

I have to say that your customer service is worse than poor, so much that one has to resort to forums such as this to get any information.

Denis