cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with virgin.net emails no access since 18 September 23

colshutt
Joining in

Hi

I have had a similar issue but do not have a VM account. I have used the same virgin.net email account for more than 20 years unbroken. I have tried to discuss with Virgin but they refuse to help as they can't associate my email with a live VM acount. I can still send and recieve using Outlook but can no longer access web mail. My wife has a similar issue but can't send or receive.

Any suggestions on who to contact in VM?

Thanks

Colin

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your email account is in the process of being closed by VM because it is not linked to a current broadband account. 

If you still have any access at all you should use it to copy and save any important data ASAP. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello colshutt.

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

From what @jpeg1 has advised we are in the process of removing any email service that are linked to disconnected accounts.

Email access is usually kept open for 90 days after after a customer leaves.

However some slip the and remain active.

It would be best to set up a 3rfd party email account, gmail etc and move all your contacts over.

Sorry for any inconvenience that may cause you.

Gareth_L

If that is the case then why was no warning given by Virgin before closing the account?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

They did give a warning. It was in the terms and conditions when you signed up for the email account. It should have been closed after 90 days, and you would have had to find another email account then.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

Where they went wrong was in not closing the account when they said they would. In the usual disorganised VM way they just left it running for years. More recently they seem to have woken up and started closing email accounts like these. They probably didn't bother to check whether they were still in use.

The result is that you had a free email account running for many years, but you have now lost it. One lesson to take away from this is to always keep offline backups of important emails and data. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.