cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Hi there im having the same issue as you regarding the video settings and its only recently its started to happen. I have a sony kd49xe9005 4k tv only got it brand new last year and until recently the tv said on info v6 box was outputting at 2160p even though most of the stuff was only playing at 1080 hd and that was fine but now it says its outputting everything at 720p. Last week i noticed the menu had gone all fuzzy because all of a sudden the output resolution had dropped all the way down to 570 and when i retested all video formats in settings it got so far and then wouldnt display a picture so i unplugged the box and redone the test and ot picked up all the video formats but now says everything is 720. Am confused to gow this stupid box is working and its now starting to get on my nerves as i know its not the tv i use tv at 4k with xbox one x playing 4k hdr games and watching 4k blurays and that works fine. Think im gonna join my dad and get sky q it **bleep** all over this virgin box especially with the amount of 4k content it has to offer which is apparently soon to double so will be even more 4k content and even the tv guide and menu system looks about 20 years more advanced. Not impressed with virgins false promises on 4k as it still hasnt happened and not impressed with these resolution issues. My dad has none of these issues with sky q

Hi,

I don’t trust Virgin either, whatever resolution it sends across its network, be it 720p, 1080i, 1080p, whatever, the V6 box then upscales it if a higher resolution is set in its menu.

The V6 upscaling technology is gonna be cheap and it will do an ok job, but my £1000s of pounds worth of A/V equipment or TV will do a far better job.

At the moment I set my A/V equipment to pass through and allow my TV to upscale.

Interestingly, my LG OLED always upscales what it gets to 4K, no choice.

Going back to SKY vs Virgin, hopefully some independent tech website will do a proper analysis of what is broadcasted and where, what gets upscaled, Then we will all know for sure what is going on.

@Nukleuz03 wrote:

Hi there im having the same issue as you regarding the video settings and its only recently its started to happen. I have a sony kd49xe9005 4k tv only got it brand new last year and until recently the tv said on info v6 box was outputting at 2160p even though most of the stuff was only playing at 1080 hd and that was fine but now it says its outputting everything at 720p. Last week i noticed the menu had gone all fuzzy because all of a sudden the output resolution had dropped all the way down to 570 and when i retested all video formats in settings it got so far and then wouldnt display a picture so i unplugged the box and redone the test and ot picked up all the video formats but now says everything is 720. Am confused to gow this stupid box is working and its now starting to get on my nerves as i know its not the tv i use tv at 4k with xbox one x playing 4k hdr games and watching 4k blurays and that works fine. Think im gonna join my dad and get sky q it **bleep** all over this virgin box especially with the amount of 4k content it has to offer which is apparently soon to double so will be even more 4k content and even the tv guide and menu system looks about 20 years more advanced. Not impressed with virgins false promises on 4k as it still hasnt happened and not impressed with these resolution issues. My dad has none of these issues with sky q

.....remember, the grass isn't always greener.

Smiley Wink

I had to resort to my V6 box to 720p for a all around decent picture. Set it to the full 4k and its not great especially the sd channels which are terrible.

@valleyboy22 wrote:

I had to resort to my V6 box to 720p for a all around decent picture. Set it to the full 4k and its not great especially the sd channels which are terrible.

That's the bug. You must either select 4k and live with that always (Tivo amount and motion processing being rubbish).  1080 and have the Rubi scale and then your TV saless again (source of of looking rubbish is among the image twice, smoothing and sharpening what's already smoothed and sharpened).

Or pick every resolution manually depending on what you want to watch (hardly the experience I look for in the year 2018)

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

JohnWB
On our wavelength

Sorry for this but I am a bit confuse about this scaling bug.

If I set my V6 box to 1080i, 1080P pass through and 2160 pass through,

will the SD and HD channels be shown in 1080i and 1080P and any 2160 shown as 2160

minion101
On our wavelength

@JohnWB wrote:

will the SD and HD channels be shown in 1080i and 1080P and any 2160 shown as 2160

No - if you set it like that you’ll probably get everything shown as 1080i irrespective of whether it’s 520, 720, 1080 or 4K that’s being transmitted.

Hmmmm... I am also now confused.... I had assumed (never assume, as they say) that by selecting each of the video outputs (I have them all selected from 1080i and above) that the V6 would send the appropriate signal to my TV (via my amp, which passes everything through without any scaling) and my TV would then upscale to 4K. I have an LG OLED B7V which does a fine job of upscaling where appropriate.

Is this not correct? I understand that pretty much all live TV is 1080i and my amp shows me the input signal it's receiving. When I have checked this on live tv, it's always 1080i. But as some of the apps (Netflix, for example) has 4K content, wouldn't this just be passed through from the V6 in 4K? 

@JohnWB wrote:

That's how mine is set up. With that set up sd and hd will be shown as 1080i and 2160p will be shown as 2160p. 1080p is a non starter. The V6 ignores all the 1080p material on Netflix YouTube etc and plays 1080p at 2160p. It sounds like a mess which it is, but at least you get HD broadcast TV at the right resolution and Netflix 4k at the right resolution. Which is the best you can get as they clearly have no intention of ever fixing this  

Actually come to think of it you have to disable 1080p or it'll show tv 1080i as 1080p. So just have 1080i and 2160p pass through selected for the best of a bad bunch.