cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITV hub app

rfemblake
Tuning in

When using the ITV hub app the programmes frequently stop and start. It looks similar to a buffering problem. Our V6 box is wifi connected to the broadband hub. Netflix and iPlayer are fine. Watching the same ITV programme via ITV hub on a laptop using the same wifi works fine as well.

I can see several postings that seem similar but not exactly the same. Any clues?

15 REPLIES 15

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Reference to "ITV Hub" can mean one of two things on a V6, so whichever one you're meaning, try the other one as the first check...

1: The ITV-hosted streaming app, accessible via Home > Apps > All apps > ITV Hub. VM provide access & connectivity, ITV provide it.

2: ITV On-Demand programmes, branded with "ITV Hub" but being played from VM's in-house OnDemand platform. Accessed directly from the V6 EPG.

Your V6's internet connection is the same for both.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the extra info. We were attempting to watch via the All apps>ITV hub route not the on demand. So this sounds like some kind of bottleneck between VM and ITV hub. I guess we'll just record any shows we might want to see in the future....

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Recording is always a better option, given a free choice - for sure. Having the programme on your hard drive is better than having to rely on external streaming.

But yes, the branding of "My5", "All-4" & "ITV Hub" can confuse.. If the programme you want is available via OnDemand, you can access it directly from the V6 menus/EPG. Just choose "Watch from ITV Hub"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I tried going via the EPG. Unsurprisingly it gave the same staccato results as presumably ITV hub gets accessed via the same pipework. I guess there is no real fix here, just the workarounds of either recording or watch via a laptop.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would consider OnDemand as the workaround and a recording as always a better idea, but all the same. OnDemand is subject to expiry times and sometimes limited ability to skip past adverts - recordings are stored on your box. Better all-round.

I know you've said that other streaming apps are ok, but... perhaps check your V6's underlying internet connection. There's a couple of ways.

Firstly follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and if you're using wireless, what's the signal strength reported in the top-right?

Secondly, follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > (top of screen) > TV Speed test... what's the result?

And are non-ITV programmes via OnDemand similarly affected? Try something from either C4 or C5 if you're not sure. BBC uses the iPlayer app so is another test.

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi is it possible you can connect your hub to the V6 with an ethernet cable, this will provide a more stable connection. Regards Micky

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but it made no difference. The wifi connection we have is reliable and we've plenty of bandwidth for the house. We don't have any issues with multiple laptops/tablets streaming and as previously mentioned Netflix and iPlayer work fine on the V6 box; these are the two apps that we make most use of. I might try some of the other apps (All4, CH5,...) to see what happens. The ITV hub app is pretty much unwatchable for us. Not a big deal but irritating none the less. We've also tried the app at different times of the day but, again, no difference. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ITV, C4 & C5 all have a similar setup.

In other words, a branded app & also programmes accessible directly from the EPG/menu "OnDemand"

Check the connection quality using the methods I previously mentioned. But if you know you'll want to watch a particular programme, recording it and then having it on your box's hard drive is by far the easier method 

Then use OnDemand as an insurance-policy.

I completed the tests you suggested. The wifi signal strength is 100% (the distance between the hub and the V6 is ~3 metres. The TV speed test gave me an "A-OK, let's go! Connection suitable for TV services".  So, all looks well on these fronts.