cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what picture setting ,auto,1080p,1080i ???

scareyone
On our wavelength

is there any benefit in adjusting the picture setting to 1080p or 1080i  for a 4k tv?

some other forums recommend 1080i as the tv will upscale to 4k...

any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

roy247
Community elder

If you set the 360 to 1080 there is a good chance your TV will upscale better than the 360, I certainly noticed less artifacting when set this way, the downside is if you have Sky Cinema UHD for example then you need to set the 360 back to Automatic or 4k otherwise the 360 say's your TV is not compatible or something similar. Doesn't affect Virgin's UHD or BT Ultimate which seem to downscale to 1080.

If you only watch broadcast HD channels you can set the box to 1080i and this will be passed through to the UHD TV for upscaling to 2160p. However if you watch UHD channels then this makes no sense as the box will downscale 2160p to 1080i and the TV will then upscale back to 2160p.

The 360 is inferior to the V6 in so far as enabling video passthrough, so I think that the vast majority of people should simple set it to Automatic or 4K for upscaling to 2160p.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

roy247
Community elder

I think the easiest solution is to set the box to Automatic and then if you are unhappy when watching something, for example dark shady film scene's on say Film 4, probably an older film then set the box to 1080 and see if the picture improves, just remember to set it back to Auto afterwards for when you watch something in 4k.

scareyone
On our wavelength

thanks for the replies everyone..

i do only tend to watch HD broadcast so the recommendation of setting the 360 to 1080i makes sense.

i also watch SD broadcast so i gather that same setting will help upscale as well?