cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving from V6 Tivo to 360

tigga
Up to speed

I have been using TIVO since it first released into the UK.  Then was on the first rollout of the VM TIVO box and the V6 box.  That’s 24 years and umpteen different versions.  In fact I probably still have that MK1 Tivo in the loft!!! 

There are many benefits to Tivo, and it has two amazing features which separate it from every other set top box.  The way it does season passes and the way it does wish lists.

Recently in order to get a good deal with VM, (and it was a substantially good deal) I migrated to VM360.  I couldn’t justify the £400 pa difference between TIvo and 360 software.

What I gained was a few things.  Simple but effective, I could record on any box from any box! (which is why they can have a 360lite box with no HD), I also gained Disney+ (woop woke!)

BUT I have lost the intelligent season pass and the wish lists.   4 months in and I really feel the pain of this.

So I would like to pass back some feature requests to the developers (who I did have contact with in V6 Tivo, but not in 360 boxes)

1. When creating a season pass, have some intelligence.  You don’t want to record episodes if you already have recorded it.  You also want the ability to select the program and it finds the repeats and wherever it is showing, and not the specific timeslot you choose.  So it just records the program as each episode is released. 
  2. Wishlists should be available… find a program with xxx in the title, or with xxx actor/actress, or this type of program (eg all golf or all ryder cup)

There are two other things which I miss but these are small.

1. The pause buffer is too small, make it at least 15 mins, though 30mins or the full program would be better.  The ability to press ‘record’ when half way through because you decide you want to keep the program is a nice feature.  Though with so many repeats and OD its not essential.
  2. Skip forward and back 15/5 seconds is really useful.  If you don’t hear something, its nice to just replay and check what someone said or what was happening on the screen at a specific point.

All these features existed in TIVO in 1999… so its not exactly difficult or revolutionary.  BUT the 360 box does feel inferior to Tivo V6 but then that is why there is a price difference. 

Curious what other people think.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All the guidance given thus far, is that no particular contract deal is dependent on a migration to TV360, which is completely voluntary. Nowhere to my knowledge have VM documented that a migration will ever be compulsory.

I believe wishlists are TiVo-patented, although 360 apparently has other ways to achieve a similar result.

My understanding is that TV360 has a larger buffer than TiVo/V6 at 3? hours, but it does only buffer the live channel and anything being recorded. V6 buffers upto an hour on all 6 tuners.

To avoid doubt, I still use a V6 and recently re-contracted

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Superstar

@tigga wrote:
  1. When creating a season pass, have some intelligence.  You don’t want to record episodes if you already have recorded it.  You also want the ability to select the program and it finds the repeats and wherever it is showing, and not the specific timeslot you choose.  So it just records the program as each episode is released. 
  2. Wishlists should be available… find a program with xxx in the title, or with xxx actor/actress, or this type of program (eg all golf or all ryder cup)

There are two other things which I miss but these are small.

1. The pause buffer is too small, make it at least 15 mins, though 30mins or the full program would be better.  The ability to press ‘record’ when half way through because you decide you want to keep the program is a nice feature.  Though with so many repeats and OD its not essential.
  2. Skip forward and back 15/5 seconds is really useful.  If you don’t hear something, its nice to just replay and check what someone said or what was happening on the screen at a specific point.

1) I assume by season pass you mean series link, 

When setting a series link select the Advanced settings, you usually have the following options;

This episode only, From this episode onwards, All from series xx only, All from series xx and onwards, New episodes only and All available episodes.

When your series ends any of the options in bold should then remain and start recording when the next series begins, the New episodes only option has worked for me.

2) Wishlist's I never used but you do have watchlists not the same I agree.

The other 1 + 2

1) Pause buffer on the mini box is around 3 to 5 minutes if you want to pause longer you need to press record so it record's on the main box and then watch as a recording if you are referring to a mini box, if you are referring to pause on a main box I have never checked to see if there is a time limit because if I leave the room I just rewind to where I left, (at least 3 hours available), personally I don't like pausing to reduce the risk of screen burn should you forget you have left it paused.

2) You can skip back by 10 second intervals by pressing the < button next to OK or forward 30 seconds by pressing the > button, or use voice control and say how much you want to skip forward or back.

I think if you search the forum you will find this topic has been covered more than once and the undelete option is also missed. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can search for something using either the magnifying glass or by voice.  Searching by voice often brings up a larger list of found items.  For example try searching  ‘Movies with John Wayne'. Then select the item you want, and press the contextual key (3 dots) on your 360 remote.  This brings up a sub menu. Info, Add to Watch list, and if it's a series 'Episodes'. Highlight the Add to Watch List option and press OK.

If you want to remove it from your watchlist then press the Home button and scroll down to Watchlist. Then highlight the program and press the contextual key and select Remove from Watchlist and press OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali