cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 - A Step Backwards

Libanese
Dialled in

I've now had the TV 360 for a week and a half and, although there are a couple of good things, such as voice control, too many things are just a step backwards from Tivo 6 -

1. No quick TV guide available, just the full guide or single channel display at the bottom of the screen
2. Features that used to be one or two button presses away now need 4 or 5 presses. Accessing recordings being a case in point
3. Not being able to specify new recordings only. After 10 days, my hard drive (single, see next point) is 23% full, mainly with repeats I didn't want after setting up series links
4. On that note, my storage space has been reduced by half, thanks to there being no drive in the mini box
5. Not being able to pause live TV on the mini box for more than 2 minutes. Then, once it starts playing, you can't pause again until you've caught up to Live TV. I mean, what is the point of that?
6. No quick access to programme info. Even when you do access it, you get a full screen promo image which completely covers what it is you're watching
7. With Tivo 6, after rewinding it was easy to go straight back to Live TV by pressing the Stop button. With 360, you have to fast forward until it tells you you're watching Live TV
8. Speaking of the remote, the shapes and textures for main buttons are nowhere near pronounced enough. It's almost impossible to use without looking directly at it

Before answering, assuming you are so inclined, please consider this. I do not accept "it's early days" as an excuse. The software is v4.26, which implies it's been through 3 major revisions and dozens of sub-versions. Basically, it should be much better than it is. I don't see Virgin reducing my monthly cost if they are considering me a beta tester. I also don't see them reducing the cost after giving me a botch job of a second box when I had 2 fully functioning Tivo 6 boxes up to last week.

I suppose I should expect Virgin to have made a pig's ear of it, just like they always do, but I thought that, maybe this time, they had it right. I should have known better

185 REPLIES 185

I disconnected my 360 box yesterday, maybe I'll plug it back in before it gets disconnected and check out the update but we'll see.

The Giggitty 1

Well I’m quite impressed with it it’s a million miles away From TiVo In looks, don’t get me wrong it’s not skyQ territory but it’s on its way ,it’s much more pleasing to the eye the voice search is very good, the menus are better so for me a worthy upgrade even just in looks onwards and upwards

Also lip sync doesn’t seem a problem on my Sonos arc and the 4K sky movies are welcomed too 

oswaldp
On our wavelength

Finally got my 360 upgrade on Monday. Like many others, received two full 360 boxes (no mini) which I was happy with - manages recordings on both boxes far better than TiVo did. Have Virgin scrapped the mini box idea?

I may be in the minority here, but I really like it! Huge step up in speed from the old V6, plus the interface is a more modern experience - not sure if this is a placebo effect but the picture quality seems better, however the sound quality is poor. Voice control seems fast and pretty accurate, while profiles are a great addition - just waiting to see how they help recommendations for different household members.

Some functionality missing is the ability to set series links for new episodes only as other have mentioned. Would be good to have more apps too - All4 is a definite miss along with BritBox, while Dolby Vision would be good for the apps too!

Will really come into its own when the long promised Sky 4K content arrives. But all in, a very promising new platform.

@oswaldp wrote:

Some functionality missing is the ability to set series links for new episodes only as other have mentioned. Would be good to have more apps too - All4 is a definite miss along with BritBox, while Dolby Vision would be good for the apps too!

Will really come into its own when the long promised Sky 4K content arrives. But all in, a very promising new platform.

4K movies have been added to Sky Movies so the content looks like it's on its way.  The ability to adjust series link options was added by an update today to V4.29.  You need to go into your all recordings list and hit the pencil icon. Some All4 content is there if you go to Catch Up and drop down the "AllChannels" list.

20210203_211636.png

20210203_214903.png

oswaldp
On our wavelength

@paul0363 wrote:

@oswaldp wrote:

4K movies have been added to Sky Movies so the content looks like it's on its way.  The ability to adjust series link options was added by an update today to V4.29.  You need to go into your all recordings list and hit the pencil icon. Some All4 content is there if you go to Catch Up and drop down the "AllChannels" list.

20210203_211636.png

20210203_214903.png

Thanks for this info. I’m still on 4.28 so will need to wait I guess.

I can see some movies with 4K tags, but not convinced it’s 4K content. Not sure whether HDR was part of the deal, but that’s definitely not there. Does anyone know if HDR content is coming on Sky Movies?

@oswaldp wrote:

@paul0363 wrote:

@oswaldp wrote:

20210203_211636.png

20210203_214903.png

Thanks for this info. I’m still on 4.28 so will need to wait I guess.

I can see some movies with 4K tags, but not convinced it’s 4K content. Not sure whether HDR was part of the deal, but that’s definitely not there. Does anyone know if HDR content is coming on Sky Movies?

With VM it's all about the art of the con. V6 is 4K ready so they market the TV service as 4k in order to appear on the same level as SKY, when all that means is they have a dedicated 4K channel and BT sport ultimate, so 2 channels and they say 4K again to appear like for like with sky when it's not . 

At least now it seems real 4K content that most people expect when they are sold 4K is  being introduced on the tv360.

Probably because potential customers are now seeing through the marketting to the reality ie useless 4K that is not in everyday viewing.

It's like sky saying they have 1gb broadband because the wifi hub can transmit at 1gb. 

Virgin have to up their game as they will find once openreach enable other companies  to offer the BB speeds over 1 GB, they will see a much higher customer churn unless they are on a par with sky over their TV packages. Hence why they are attempting to address the last decade style and quality TV service 

I checked pricing the other day and the difference in value to sky is becoming negligible , only main caveat is the BB speed presently although latency and downtime are becoming an issue and in some areas a major issue due to over subscription.

And the less I say about customer service at present the better!!

So proper 4K being provided all I can say is it's about time and thankfully I watch netflix and disney plus in 4k HDR from the tv apps. Perhaps now 4K is on virgin in sky movies I will revisit using the tv360 box more.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

On the subject of Series Links and setting the box to record 'New' only (which many people are saying the box cannot do just yet), this pic states that the 360 will record all future episodes of a show when selecting a series on the channel :

deans6571_0-1612427802246.png

Isn't this the same thing as selecting 'New', like you can on the V6?

Not exactly

You will still get all reruns of the series you choose to start from. eg If season 5 was the last one, you have to record all that season as well as any new ones assuming the new season hasn't yet appeared, whether you want it or not.

It's a ridiculous way to do it. It just needs the same options as V6

Virgin really need to employ UI people, not just programmers

These are the options you now get with V4.29 when rcording.  They're under advanced when setting the recording or the pencil item in the recordings list if editing later:

20210204_092327.png