cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture quality poor

JackBauer007
Joining in

Hi all,

Me and my Mrs are new customers of Virgin Media TV service and have received a 360 box which we've connected up to our LG OLED-C9 55 inch TV. The picture quality is really sub standard compared with what we had on Sky and on the quality we get from the Netflix/Disney/Amazon Prime apps.

The SD channels are very pixelated and downright unwatchable.

The HD channels are below picture quality compared with all other HD sources, including our streaming services. There is visible noise, and it just isn't crisp compared with what we are used to.

The only channels with quality we are used to are the ultra HD sample channels, which are definitely not 4K but more on par with what we would expect from HD.

Any advise on how we can get this resolved? I did scour the community for advice which suggests sending the image from the box to the TV in 1080p and let the TV do the scaling. The 360 box by default is set to 4K and when I set it to 1080p or 1080i, the image quality is worse. There are no other options as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

3 REPLIES 3

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi you have raised two issues here, the pixalation is a signal level problem and will need an engineer to resolve by adjusting the levels between your box and the street cabinet, if you have a 4K TV the video setting on your box should be 2160p, if you have rebooted the box and there is no improvement. Then phone and report the issue they can test the signal levels and hopefully arrange an engineer. Regards Micky

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @JackBauer007 

I have an LG NANO796NE and have no problems leaving the 360 HDMI resolution on the Automatic setting. I found very little difference when changing the setting to 1080i or 1080p, except for when watching say the BT Sports Ultimate channel where I had to set the 360 to 4K or Automatic as it didn't pass the 4K picture to the TV.

I don't know if your TV model has the same settings/modes as mine but just for a comparison I generally leave the LG Picture mode set to Sports mode, although do change that setting now and again according to the program I'm watching and the broadcast quality. In the LG additional settings I have HDMI Ultra Deep Colour turned on, and Filmmaker mode to auto change.

have you tried a factory reset?

To factory reset go to Settings (cog at end of Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.

With the 360 you won't lose your recordings as it's not a complete factory reset, you will retain any recordings and series links that you've made, however you will need to sign into apps such as iPlayer and ITV Hub again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @JackBauer007,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with pixelation and the quality of your picture at the moment.

Regarding the quality of your picture, would you be able to follow the advice given by the other forum members to check if that makes any difference to your picture at all.

We would need to send out a technician to look into the signal issues to your box, to do this I would need to send over a private message to confirm a few details, so that I can make the arrangements for the visit. I will drop the private message over in a moment.

Regards,

Steven_L