cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 6 with WiFi calling

RobWatson
Joining in
  • I have a pixel 6 with WiFi calling. I have turned o on WiFi calling in settings, but when I try to make a call, it says that I'm not connected to a network and tells me to connect to a WiFi network. I am already connected to my WiFi network.  Please can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? 
39 REPLIES 39

@Plant wrote:

Confusing?!

When I phoned Virgin, Customer Support confirmed that they had to turn on WiFi Calling for me, which they did (it takes up to 24 hours to take effect).

But, on searching for answers, it appears that the provider has to enable it on each brand of phone. I don't know why, but there seems not to be an international standard? Anyway, as far as I can tell, Virgin has enabled WiFi Calling only for brands that Virgin sells.

If Virgin thinks that I'll buy a phone from them just for WiFi Calling, they're mistaken. I'm more likely to leave Virgin for a provider who supports my phone. It's not as if the Pixel is a minor niche player in the market.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Although Google devices don't support Virgin Mobile plans, it looks like O2 plans do work for WiFi Calling on Google devices.

This year all Virgin Mobile plans are being moved onto O2 (in addition to the radio network they're already on). So once you're moved over and billed by O2 for your plan it's fairly likely you should be able to get WiFi Calling working on your device.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

We do offer WIFI Calling however if the phone isn't on that list we wouldn't offer it for that model unfortunately sorry.

We do work in partnership with O2 and we use the same network as them however right now we act has two different companies until later this year.

If the phone does have WIFI calling on it you should be able to find it in the settings. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@Matthew_ML wrote:

… if the phone isn't on that list …

Where's the list, though? The link that you gave doesn't give a list. It gives a link that claims to give a list ("What devices support WiFi Calling?"), but there's no list there!

Hey pannsoln, you can find this under Who can get Virgin Media WiFi Calling?.

From there it says (see list below) and you will be able to see the phones models. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thank all of you above.
Looks like I need to wait until O2 are in charge of billing me.
Then..perhaps...I may be able to access WiFi calling.
Disappointed that Virgin Media never said they don't apply it with Google phones.!
Would have saved a lot of stress.

In my case when I moved to O2 on the Virgin contract, O2 had to enable WiFi calling at their end so my phone (a Pixel 6) could use WiFi calling (which it does very well)

That's encouraging....

Forty45
Tuning in

I have a Pixel 4. I asked Customer Service to enable WiFi Calling yesterday, which they said they would do but it could take 24 hours to take effect. I was also told it may not work as Virgin didn't supply the phone.

Surprise, surprise, nothing has changed after 24 hours. 

My contract has ended so I will be moving to EE or Three and try my luck with one of them.

@Forty45 wrote:

I was also told it may not work as Virgin didn't supply the phone.

That's presumptuous of Virgin. I'm not going to buy a phone from Virgin just for this, especially as Virgin doesn't sell the phone that I want!