cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The fan on my Hub in very noisy and keeps coming on and off. Very distracting!

jasonlcowper
Tuning in

The Fan on my Hub 4 router is very noisy so much I can here it kicking in and out over the tv volume. Has anyone experienced this also. And is there a fix as it’s very annoying. I intend to speak to VM tomorrow morning. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue. Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Have you removed all the cellophane that comes on a new Hub? Otherwise, this would block all the air holes in the Hub and cause overheating

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jasonlcowper
Tuning in

Hi doesn’t anyone else suffer with the noise of the fan spinning on and off on the Hub 4. Mine sounds like a hairdryer as in kicks in and out during the cooling period. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Have you removed all the cellophane that comes on a new Hub? Otherwise, this would block all the air holes in the Hub and cause overheating

Thanks for your reply. Yes I gave taken all the plastic off the hub. It sitting on a laminated wooden floor. But we can still here the fan whirling away. It’s very distracting. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The wooden floor is possibly acting as an echo box to amplify the sound.  Try standing the hub on a piece of cork or other sound absorbing material.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Great idea thanks for that Graham. I’ll give it a go. 👍

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Or a set of stick-on rubber mini-feet. That will raise the Hub up too, to provide better air flow.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for sharing your advice that’s brilliant idea. I will get some rubber feet. Do you know where you can buy them? I thought Amazon? Any advice will be grateful received. Thank you 😊 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
eBay 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.