cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum devices reached but using an authorised one

marty50
On our wavelength

Hi,

I am having am issue whereby I cannot use 2 of my computers to watch TV Go. 1 is Windows 10, detected as Google Chrome (see pic) although it's the Brave browser, and the other is Linux with Firefox. I get the same happening on both:

marty50_0-1669398336387.png

That happens when trying to watch something, but when I look at My Devices:

marty50_1-1669398374240.png

So the TV Go site seems aware I'm using an authorised browser, yet will not allow it to play? Seems a bit weird. As I say, this happens on 2 distinct devices.

Any ideas/help, please?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @marty50

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with your services! Can I ask if other browsers work with these devices? 

Thanks again

Hi Ashleigh_C,

I can watch on the Virgin app on my Android phone but I have no slots to try other browsers at the moment so I can't tell you, unfortunately - at least until 4 days passes and I can replace 1 of them anyway!

Hi @Ashleigh_C, sorry that previous answer probably wasn't as clear as I could make it and for some reason I'm unable to edit it now.

I have tried a couple of different browsers on an authorised device and they all require me to register them. This current laptop I'm replying on for example is named "Asus-Office" on your service:

marty50_0-1669622691645.png

And it seems only the Chrome browser is recognised by the VM system. In Firefox or Edge, I can sign in without issue as you'd expect but the Device Management screen doesn't show the "(Current device)" label as per the screenshot, as I assume the play licence is tied to the browser rather than the hardware device.

I also have my phone listed 2x in the Device Management screen for some reason, I guess the app signed me out at some point and when I signed back in I had to re-authorise it, despite it being the same app on the same phone? I haven't uninstalled it or changed phone but it has probably had software updates so that could be the reason.

Hi marty50, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and for explaining things further. 

Once you've registered your device, if anything updates, resets or if you try using another browser then the system will automatically try re-registering things. 

To combat this, we would advise to stick with the same browser on each device where possible. 

We can get things reset here so you start off with a clean slate and then you can re-register each device in turn. In order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

marty50
On our wavelength

Hi Kath_F

I will reply to your message, thank you. Just wanted to clarify that I only use 1 browser on each of the 3 devices, I only tried additional browsers as I assumed that is what Ashleigh was asking about in the original reply. The update comments were solely in reference to the VM app on Android.

I can't really find a way to put this that doesn't seem rude, so I will prefix it with "I'm not intending this to sound rude nor blunt"! - however, I know how it all works and am aware that using different browsers causes new registrations etc. What I can't quite grasp is why the VM service recognises that I am using an authorised browser, yet will not play the content - and this happens on 2 different computers, whilst a 3rd is fine. If I could understand why then I could possibly prevent it happening in future, but seeing as the VM system is showing it is aware I'm using a registered device when I access the TV Go website, I'm not quite sure what I can do.

Hi marty50, 

Thanks for sticking with me via private message. 

I have reset the devices registered for use with TV Go now. 

If you attempt to stream using the device and browser you want registered, this should go through with no issues now. 

Please keep us posted on how tins go.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

marty50
On our wavelength

Sorry, I didn't realise you'd posted back here. Thanks for doing that, I will repeat the registration with the devices and let you know how it goes.

Hi marty50, 

Thanks for coming back to us here. 

It's no problem at all. If you have any further issues - you know what we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team