cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded then downgraded - poor speeds

DigitalDreams
On our wavelength

Upgraded to 1gig, or so I thought. Virgin took my money, charged me extra for upgrading speed, couldn't get THREE hub5's working so left me with a hub4 on 1gig (800Mb/s on good days only). NOW I find they've downgraded my package back to the old M125 without any warning whatsoever!!!

Do I have no choice but to phone those hopeless folk in the Philippines and hope they don't mess up further or once again repeatedly try to sell me what I don't want then to charge me AGAIN to upgrade to 1meg ???.

Talk about atrocious customer focus, this takes the biscuit.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

33 REPLIES 33

FOUR HOURS on whatsapp now and only one real conversation for just a few seconds where they tried to charge more to put back what was taken without our consent !. TWO HOURS 20 MINS SINCE THEIR LAST REPLY.

INCREDIBLY POOR !

[23/02, 3:58 pm] Virgin Media: We are sorry you are still waiting to be connected to one of the team. Our wait times are very high at the moment due to an unprecedented demand to speak to the team & we are experiencing some issues with our internal systems. This may mean a delay in being transferred to one of the team. We do apologise and appreciate your patience. As soon as an agent becomes available they will drop you a message, so please feel free to get on with your day and we will be in touch as quickly as we can.[23/02, 4:15 pm] R: Hello ??
[23/02, 4:37 pm] R: Hi ??
[23/02, 5:04 pm] R: Hello ???
[23/02, 5:44 pm] R: Hi ????
[23/02, 6:54 pm] R: Hi ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DigitalDreams wrote:

Yes, even had an email saying it and it's there in my account 'M125

OK its in the account so probably correct -- but checking those config numbers will tell if they have actually sent the reconfiguration file  to your Hub and your speeds are thus limited and will go back up when the put you back on 1GB. - rather than your speeds are low for other reasons. 

Also can you do this "clean" speed test to confirm what is being sent to the Hub report back...

--------------------------------

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, You cannot rely on wifi tests, - only speeds "TO" the Hub and out on ethernet are usually guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this.

As you expect >100Mbps then Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected on wifi or ethernet connections.

Then test speeds on the lasptop at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - or https://www.speedtest.net/ - try on 2 different browsers - as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.
There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. For examples of why... see message 7 in the first thread and 9 in in the second and 3 in the third

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HUB-5-and-IGB-wifi/td-p/5088163

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Apparently put back to 1gig last night, new contract starting today. Yet still m125 both on the account and from the hub after a power cycle.... How long does a speed change usually take to go through ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As soon as those numbers in the config file have been received and increased to the 1GB levels !!

If they haven't gone up.... then try switching it off for 5' and restarting.

Hence I keep saying... check it and then run a speed test as I have advised.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

"As soon as those numbers in the config file have been received and increased to the 1GB levels !!"

Down max traffic rate 143,750,047

Upstream max traffic rate  22,000,047

Account still says m125 so it's a waiting game, hoping later today at latest.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My 250 down figure is = 287 500 061 bps i.e. ~287Mbps - so correct.

Yours is 143,750,047 so ~143 Mbps

So yes, the file has not been received and installed yet.

Keep checking...

--------------------
John
--------------------

Been back on whatsapp for a few hours. The first response was to confirm I was still on m125 yet again offer me 1gig at a higher price than quoted last night !!. Do these folk not know what they're doing ????

No response on whatsapp so trying again today. Thursday we were told they were putting back the 1gig we had paid for, it's now Saturday and still m125 !!!. This is beyond a joke, disgusting lack of support.

WOW... passed to another team to talk about compensation for this disgraceful mess and they are now claiming the answer to my security 'last bill' question is incorrect even though it has been correct since he whatsapp chat started on Thursday !?!?!?

They are also charging me to upgrade BACK to 1gig when I didn't authorise the downgrade from 1gig in the first place !!!!!!. Never mind asking if they could share my email address with unknown third parties.... This is DISGUSTING.