cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upload speed daily in the evening

danouk
Tuning in

Hi,

I have mentioned my issue as a reply on another thread, but wanted to share my own experience in case it's different.

Never had any issues during my time with Virgin, always had a consistent connection, but in the last 2 weeks approximately my upload speed has dropped from 20mbps to between 0.5-5mbps in the evening and sometimes in the day. 

I have a T200 package, I have a Super Hub 3 which is in Modem mode.

When I check service status in the area it says everything is fine, but when I click on the equipment test, it says there may be an issue affecting people in the area. The issues generally only happen when support lines are closed so it's very frustrating as I can't report it at the time. I'll post info from router now:

25 REPLIES 25

I appreciate the response of course, but no, it's still not been fixed.

I've had this continuously. Being told a date and then nothing. No updates, no information, just a delayed date.

At some point there must surely be an expectation that the end users who pay full price for a service that they're not getting will ask....What is going on? I'm not a complainer generally and really resent being in this situation but for 9 weeks between 8pm-8am I can't use my connection as I need to.

No communication from Virgin about this, I've been relying on others to keep me informed. So can you please keep me updated on fix times at the very least without me having to ask? My email is on the account.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@danouk At some point there must surely be an expectation that the end users who pay full price for a service that they're not getting will ask....What is going on?

Not with VM.  If people keep paying, then as far as VM are concerned everything looks good from their end.  The precise regularity of the start and stop of packet loss suggests something on a timer, but whatever it is that regularity ought to help with fault detection.  Even basic network noise detection should be able to pin down the source of the noise by a simple but systematic process of isolation.  But after six weeks or so, and apparently no nearer to a fix (other than meaningless fix dates that come and go without improvement) it seems that VM haven't been particularly diligent in looking at this.

Question for VM staff: Has the matter been escalated to the AFM?  And if it has, are the field team still scratching their heads and whistling through their teeth, because if they are, isn't it time to involve the pointy head networks wizards?

danouk: Have you raised a formal complaint?  Might as well do this, ask for the fault to be fixed in line with VM's legal obligation for deliver their service with reasonable skill and care, given them two weeks to do this, and ask for compensation for the barely usable connection, the poor service and poor communication?  Use the online form in My Virgin Media, state that you want a deadlock letter if they can't agree to that, see what happens.  If they don't come up with a settlement that suits you, escalate to CISAS using the deadlock letter.  If you don't have the deadlock letter you need to wait eight weeks from the complaint being acknowledged with a reference number by VM.  That's a long time, on current progress it's possible that the fault may not have been resolved even then.

Thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate an actual insight into the process and what is going on. 

Tonight.... A miracle. Its past 8pm and my upload isn't destroyed. I actually may heel click. 

Hi @danouk,

I've checked up on an update of the fault for you, and the current estimated fix date/time is approximately 1:25pm tomorrow (February 7th). If you continue to face issues after this time then please let us know and we'll take another look.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks but as of my last message, it's been fine which does show that these dates are just plucked out of the air initially and then pushed back with the same frequency.

I normally have patience, but this issue made my internet unusable for half of the day and was from 8th December to 6th February. Every single path I tried to turn down resulted in just being quoted ETA fix dates, with no consideration for how long these dates had been revised.

It makes me think that if this hadn't been fixed, I could easily have been here in 6 months crying nightly without any further level of support. I had assumed that the escalation period for these issues would be a week, not 8.

So yes it's fixed for now, but without trying to sound dramatic am deeply concerned about the foundations of this network, particularly with support based on what I've experienced. If the issue had happened but I'd had an honest update and kept in contact with then I would have felt differently.

And thanks again Andrew-G for taking the time to respond and sympathise with my position when I was starting to lose faith in it all.

Hi @danouk, thanks for your return post - I'm sincerely sorry for the distress this is causing.

I've checked again today for you on the fault and it is still running (it must have been extended slightly), however as things stand this is due to be fixed today Thursday 10th February at 13:00.

The fact that this fix time is so close is a good sign (although not a guarantee) that it'll be honoured this time around.

Please let me know how you're getting on!

Many thanks

Tom_W