cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frost causing TV/Broadband signal to drop out.

shelvock86
Tuning in

Whenever there is a frost outside, usually early mornings, our TV signal drops out almost entirely and we get the error message 'CS2004 Channel Failedc on all channels until the weather warms up through the day and then the signal comes back fine. This has been happening ever since we had our new 360 box installed and the engineer replaced some of the connections on the Omni Box outside. Yesterday, the broadband signal also dropped out furbto the snow and frost. As it only happens when it's very cold out, by  the time customer service is open it has usually resolved itself and they therefore can't find an issue from their end. Please could someone help as it's getting very troublesome in the mornings and I need it sorting.

36 REPLIES 36

An engineer visit would be great, but I can't seem to get one booked

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Carl is correct your Hub stats are dreadful when "cold" but seem to improve a bit as it warms up. But the PreRS error counts are horrendous and upPower levels are too high.

Can you do this and then see what a VM person says when they get here - hopefully tomorrow.
Switch the Hub off and unplug it from the mains supply for five minutes. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables.. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes

When all done, check back in the settings and ensure that the RS error counts and T3 errors have all reset to 0. Then check every hour or so to see if they start reappearing - they shouldn't. If they do (particularly any postRS and T3 ones) you have a problem (noise) that only a Tech visit will sort. Also check the SNR levels downstream are above ~34 and upstream power levels are not above 51 dBmV.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello shelvock86,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention 

Sorry you have had to though 

I did check the levels from here and it all appears fine , now the frost has gone

But it will return again and its best to fix it asap 

I will be able to get an engineer booked in for you to do this

First though I just need to pass security 

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks for passing security shelvock86

I have booked the engineer and sent the time by private message 

I will also check back with you tomorrow to see how the visit went 

Gareth_L

So had an engineer out last Friday but the visit wasn't particularly helpful. Obviously as the weather was good on Friday afternoon he couldn't find an issue with the signal, and he said the connections in the cabinet and Omni Box were fine.

He did however acknowledge that the readings I had taken from the router when cold were not good enough (below 35db), and he said he'd contact network(?) To say there was an issue and then get back to me. Not heard anything from him or Virgin yet, hopefully someone will see this and can chase it up for me.

Hi Matt

Just a quick message to see how things are 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth

Not sure what you mean? You said you were going to chase it up for me on Friday so I've just been waiting to here from you?

Ah sorry. The engineer did pass this over to our networks Team 

It s just a bit tricky to diagnose now the Frost has gone 

Gareth_L

Right, does this mean it will be logged as no fault then? Clearly I'm going to be faced with even worse signal when winter comes.

Cheers

We can run an investigation when the frosts come back again shelvock86

Gareth_L