cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacker telephone number?

KOlechniewicz
Just joined

Hi, is this a number of a hacker claiming to be from VM? [MOD EDIT: Potential spoofed number] 

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KOlechniewicz wrote:

Hi, is this a number of a hacker claiming to be from VM? 

You cannot use the phone number that appears in caller display or is reported by the 1471 service to judge whether a call is genuine or not.

The UK' s ancient analogue telephone system means that it is easy to spoof that number to whatever the caller wants. Scammers always do that to disguise where they are calling from and to give themselves more credibility.

So, even if it is a genuine VM number, the call you received could still have been from a scammer claiming to be from VM.

If it's any help, VM do not make unsolicited phone calls to advise or support customers in respect of problems with their VM broadband.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi KOlechniewicz,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you are potentially getting calls from a spooked number, fraudsters will hide their numbers being any available number, you can find out more around dealing with fraudulent calls Here.

Regards

Paul.