cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst experience ever

8kham
Joining in

Hi there,  

I received the virgin media equipment 4th October but couldn't get it to connect. So had to call them and after numerous calls that ever very long we managed to get a engineer appointment for a week later. He came and said there is no external wire so we need a new one and booked another appointment for third party engineer to install the cable. But he didn't show up today, and we called again and they said we see no issue on our side. Now once again after so many very long calls one of the phone agents said the appointment was rescheduled for 29th and later another said it would be today he will just come later and then when we didn't show up till late another said we should wait another day or else cancel it. 

Why is it like this? why is virgin media's customer service so rubbish? Should I cancel or do what? 

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

@8kham wrote:

Hi there,  

I received the virgin media equipment 4th October but couldn't get it to connect. So had to call them and after numerous calls that ever very long we managed to get a engineer appointment for a week later. He came and said there is no external wire so we need a new one and booked another appointment for third party engineer to install the cable. But he didn't show up today, and we called again and they said we see no issue on our side. Now once again after so many very long calls one of the phone agents said the appointment was rescheduled for 29th and later another said it would be today he will just come later and then when we didn't show up till late another said we should wait another day or else cancel it. 

Why is it like this? why is virgin media's customer service so rubbish? Should I cancel or do what? 

This is a little bit odd, if VM have sent out a self-install kit, then according to their records, the cabling should all be in place. Of course what they can’t know is whether a previous occupant hasn’t just cut the whole lot away and dumped in in a convenient skip! All fair enough, but that doesn’t explain the subsequent missed appointments, confusing and contradictory messages.

What does explain it is the concept that VM’s customer support and backend model is fundamentally broken. They have decided (presumably on a cost basis) to outsource a lot of the cabling work - which is fine, except they seem to have no insight, control or knowledge of what the contractors are doing, when they do the jobs, or even if the jobs will ever be done. So, to be fair on the poor person you speak to, they, quite literally have no more idea of when the job will be done than my cat does! All they know and can say is what is on the screen in front of them, which always says that the job will be done ‘today’, not their fault, it is how VM’s managers have decided it should work!

Now should you cancel? Well consider this, suppose you give up and simply sign up with another supplier who can get you connected up within the next few days. Now you aren’t paying VM anything so no real need to cancel, but suppose in three months time, they manage to extract digit and get you connected - you test it, it all works and then you immediately cancel within the first 14 days as per the legally required cooling off period. This means that you pay nothing at all, but you know that the cables are in place and working should you want to give VM another go in the future. Or maybe you won’t and just want the slight satisfaction of knowing that it will have cost VM money to get your house connected up but they won’t get a single penny back!

Just a thought

John

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@8kham wrote:

Hi there,  

I received the virgin media equipment 4th October but couldn't get it to connect. <snip>

Worth noting that when you have a failed 'Quick Start' installation and you cannot connect, VM count this as a total loss of service (TLS) fault (para 6 below)

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

You presumably notified VM of this on 4 Oct so you actually are due a rate of £8.40 per day (after 2 working days) while you wait around for VM to install a cable for you. If you did notify VM on 4 Oct then you get £8.40 for the initial period 4 to 6 Oct inc. and £8.40 per day after that until they connect you. So as of today 10 Oct VM owe you £42 for the delay.

As to whether to cancel, jem101 has outlined how you can wait for the service to be installed, while accumulating any compensation due, with an option to leave in the first 14 days after activation if you wish. You need to balance up the 'waiting game' approach versus your need for working services. You could maybe get some mobile/hotspot connectivity on a 30 day rolling contract while you decide what's best to do for your requirements.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 8kham, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂 

I am so sorry to hear you are being messed about with your installation, I can take a look for you to see what we are waiting on so you can have more of an idea of what's going on 🙂

Keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Zoie