cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN and VILFO

jim2541
Tuning in

Hello,

My current contract at my ISP is due to expire soon.  Given that its pretty poor speed (~40mb) and that Virgin have recently added services in my local area I'm thinking of signing up for the 500mb service.

At the moment I have cable modem which plugs into the WAN connector of VILFO router (Vilfo is a dedicated VPN router - https://www.vilfo.com/)

The Vilfo router then plugs into my Wi-Fi router which is used as access point.

I really like this setup because the VPN sits quietly in the background and protects all my devices.

I'm thinking with Virgin I'll just plug their router into my Vilfo system.

Does anyone else use this device successfully with Virgin?  Also are there any blockers on using VPN services?

Thanks,

Jim

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any VM Hub in modem mode should work as it just bridges the WAN to your Router.  Don't forget you have 14 days to test VM and cancel if you change your mind.

Where are you btw, as you already have a cable modem?  I would have thought VM was the only supplier of cable modems in the UK?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ok thanks. So, there are no hard limits imposed by VM that blocks VPNs on a technical level?
Does anyone know their official policy on it?
Sorry when I said cable modem, I meant the old-fashioned DSL type model that takes an RJ11 socket….

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not throttle traffic or block VPN's.  There are many users on this Forum who use VPN's and have not reported any problems that I am aware of.

As I said earlier, you have 14 days to test.  Also don't forget your Draytek is a DualWAN model and you can run the xDSL and VM cable at the same time, so don't cancel your current ISP until you are fully satisfied with VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sound advice, many thanks.

Out of interest, when does the 14 day cooling off period start.  Most install dates are more than 14 days in advance.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jim2541 wrote:

Out of interest, when does the 14 day cooling off period start.  Most install dates are more than 14 days in advance.

I believe it is when your actual service is live and up and running.