cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tidy up the white loop of wires

Jimmybowen
Joining in

I have a really nasty loop of white wires stuck out of my house ready for Virgin Media. I'm in contract with my current supplier so wouldn't even be able to switch for a while. What's the best way to tidy this up as my other half is half jokingly talking about just taking the kitchen scissors to the eye sore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Log it as a snagging item with your housebuilder if you in a new build. Or pop down to your local electrical wholesaler or DIY shop and buy an outdoor electrical enclosure of some kind and fit that over the wires.

If you search for 'Virgin Media wall box' on eBay you can find some actual VM wall boxes but at a cost of £20-ish.

There are replacement outside grey boxes under the '1sTec' brand on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-Telephone-Electrical-Connections-F-Connector-Brown/dp/B07B4JVNCM

for £13-ish.

If all you are trying to do is cover the wires the type of box is not too important (as long as it stands up to the elements outside) as you are not actually making any connections, just covering the wires up.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

A couple of pictures may be helpful here, but I do have to say that your other half does have a really good point.....!

Not sure kitchen scissors will do though, may need a pair of hedge clippers!

spell
Knows their stuff

Begs the question why are they even there unless debris from a previous occupier - if you have no plans to transfer  to VM at contract end with current provider just snip and bin them -  no big deal - it's your house - brownie points from wife

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it is a new build then they have likely been put in by the builder, who has not been tidy in finishing up.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

20230516_204655.jpgLooks like this. It's a new build I think they thought it would be helpful to preinstall. By comparison next to it is the nice neat open reach installation.

Log it as a snagging item with your housebuilder if you in a new build. Or pop down to your local electrical wholesaler or DIY shop and buy an outdoor electrical enclosure of some kind and fit that over the wires.

If you search for 'Virgin Media wall box' on eBay you can find some actual VM wall boxes but at a cost of £20-ish.

There are replacement outside grey boxes under the '1sTec' brand on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-Telephone-Electrical-Connections-F-Connector-Brown/dp/B07B4JVNCM

for £13-ish.

If all you are trying to do is cover the wires the type of box is not too important (as long as it stands up to the elements outside) as you are not actually making any connections, just covering the wires up.

Martyn
Superfast

wonder if thats virgin xgs or htc? what does https://bidb.uk say you have?

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

It says 1000MBps HFC on there.

That's a good idea, I'll try and put more pressure on the house builder as it might save me a job. Thanks for the link that's perfect I couldn't quite get the words for what I was searching right.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Martyn wrote:

wonder if thats virgin xgs or htc? what does https://bidb.uk say you have?

That site will tell you the service to the home, not what VM is using inside.

So while it can tell you whether it’s FTTP or HFC, it won’t tell you if the customer is using DOCSIS (RFoG to the front wall & coax inside) or XGS-PON (all fibre). At present XGS is confined specifically targeted customers in 7 trial areas.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks