cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer failed to turn up

stevenjt365
Joining in

Hi,

Is there a reliable way to get an explanation / update on my fibre installation?

My install was scheduled for the 20th April, on the 17th April it was rescheduled to the 22nd. On the 22nd the engineer didn’t show up. I have tried to get an update from customer services but have not been able to get back through to them (call being ditched or passes around and then ditched).

Any assistance greatly received 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Ensure that you claim compensation for the missed appointment. 

The VM forum team will advise on next steps. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Ensure that you claim compensation for the missed appointment. 

The VM forum team will advise on next steps. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Hi,

My install needs groundwork completed to get cable to my property, I was told this was happening on both of the stated dates. I have read some quite troubling threads on the forum of people seemingly being fobbed off with delay after delay. 

Is this issue common?

It does seem particularly prevalent at VM unfortunately. VM appear to have very poor systems, processes and communication internally so you can only guess what it is like when third party contractors become involved. 

Hey @stevenjt365,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

The internal install is provided by us but majority of our external work and cables will be handled by one of our 3rd party teams, the dates we are provided for the install are provisional but we aim to meet them to the best of our ability, if there are any delays we would always make you aware in advance of this. The best team to speak to for this would be our Pre-Installation team and you can contact them via any of the means provided here.

If you do require anything further do let us know.

Thanks. Joe

@Cardiffman282 wrote:

It does seem particularly prevalent at VM unfortunately. VM appear to have very poor systems, processes and communication internally so you can only guess what it is like when third party contractors become involved. 

By ‘poor systems’ probably best to read ‘non existent’!

@stevenjt365, just so you are aware, this oddball idea of a ‘provisional’ installation date does crop up from time to time. Now the truth is that the OFCOM code of practice, which VM willing signed up for, and which mandates the level of and criteria for compensation, makes no mention of provisional dates. Indeed it clearly states that compensation is payable after the first, confirmed in writing installation date. Anything regarding this that may or may not appear on the contract is irrelevant. 

Now a more cynical person than I, might think that VM have ‘invented’ this provisional date business as a way of discouraging customers from claiming their due. It may well be a tacit admission that they accept that their installation processes are fundamentally broken, but rather than fix them, feel it is far cheaper to run a damage limitation exercise and try to avoid paying out the compensation.

Maybe they feel that if they repeat this line enough, then it becomes the ‘truth’ as far as customers are concerned. In reality until and unless this claim is tested in Law, then it is irrelevant and can be ignored. 

Of course if it were to be upheld, then VM could presumably claim that any and all appointments or dates were ‘provisional’ and hence never have to pay out any compensation at all - which does rather defeat the spirit of the OFCOM requirements.

‘Sign up with Virgin Media now and we guarantee an engineer will have you all connected up within the hour! Oh no sorry, that hour was just a provisional date, it’ll be sometime in the next six months, sorry about that’!

Yes, an extreme example, and one that would actually fall foul of all sorts of other consumer protection laws, but you see where it all might lead!