cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this mean FTTP?

LiamG91
On our wavelength

Hi

Does this email mean we're getting FTTP or something boring?

Thanks

Screenshot_20220809-150106_Outlook.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Probably the latter - otherwise they would be singing the praises off moving to FTTP 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand

Indeed.

---

There's planned "work" here soon too, however as we're RFoG / FTTP already I can only hope the works are towards getting rid of the RFoG bit; I wonder if, when and how they'll do it, 2040 is a good estimate I think!

I will say, apart from the ping vs fttp, extra power and the RFoG converter node, RFoG is much much better and less issue prone than the HFC coax of old.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

LiamG91
On our wavelength

Well I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

I moved from Virgin to BT FTTP and then back to Virgin because BT FTTP even though the latency was good at 2ms, I never got the full speed, was paying for 900mb down and 110mb up and getting just short of 600mb down and 90mb up. With my virgin I get just short of 1.2gb down and 52mb up consistently but the latency is around 15ms.

Virgin wins for me as I get more than the advertised speeds consistently but fails on the ipv6 and latency, but I'm going to wait for the virgin fttp as BT FTTP you don't get the speeds you pay for as I'm guessing the network is oversubscribed as its ran by openreach and virgin have got it nailed on around here.

There are loads of providers that use the Openreach FTTP network, the upload speeds are all quicker than VM for comparable downstream rates as well.