cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed home move for 84 days

MrBrownsofa
Tuning in

Been delayed for 84 days, dongle was promised then cancelled then all of a sudden no one knows how to send a dongle.

virgin media is the only provider over 70Mbps in my area. Am i doomed? 

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MrBrownsofa wrote:

Been delayed for 84 days, dongle was promised then cancelled then all of a sudden no one knows how to send a dongle.

virgin media is the only provider over 70Mbps in my area. Am i doomed? 

What reason has VM given as the cause for the delay?

(VM offering a dongle is not really a good sign based on this past post from one of the VM forum team at message #5)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-at-new-house-and-customer-se...

VM gave no reason for the delays they would always respond with “the work will be carried out today”. 

I took things into my own hands and have been in contact with Kelly communications and they have said the permit has been revoked by the council last minute. Even though the parking restrictions have been put up twice. 

@MrBrownsofa wrote:

VM gave no reason for the delays they would always respond with “the work will be carried out today”. 

I took things into my own hands and have been in contact with Kelly communications and they have said the permit has been revoked by the council last minute. Even though the parking restrictions have been put up twice. 

The 'council permits' excuse has been well used on here (to the point where it is worn out!).

You should speak direct to your local highways authority (might be your local council or county council who issue the permits for street work) and get the info direct from them.

On more than one occasion on the forums (example below) the customer (who has been told they are being kept waiting for 'council permits') has spoken to the council for direct info, only to find out no permit has been requested by VM or its sub-contractors. See

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-delays-because-of-fake-permi...

So I am doomed haha fantastic.

I am inclined to believe the permits have been approved as the yellow parking restriction signs are official as far as I know only the council can pop those up (could be wrong).

I will contact the council monday then i will prepare all of my “paperwork” for the inevitable CISAS I only heard about 1hr ago on these very forums.

@MrBrownsofa wrote:

So I am doomed haha fantastic.

I am inclined to believe the permits have been approved as the yellow parking restriction signs are official as far as I know only the council can pop those up (could be wrong).

I will contact the council monday then i will prepare all of my “paperwork” for the inevitable CISAS I only heard about 1hr ago on these very forums.

If I was to hazard a guess (and it would be nothing more than a guess) your situation sounds more like the permits were in place but the contractor failed to mobilise/coordinate the resources to do the work within the permit date(s). You'll only find out the truth of the matter by speaking to the council, I guess.

CISAS has now been replaced by 'Ombudsman Services' as of 1 Jan 2023

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

If you need any info advice on the compensation scheme, there is plenty on the forum about that and you can always post back here on this topic with updated info/questions.

Good luck with the council detective work!

You are truly the community elder, thank you for your wisdom.

Not CISAS any more I'm afraid, as on 1st Jan, the adjudication is via the Ombudsman Service but the principles are the same.

Note though that neither they, not CISAS before them can compel VM to connect you up any quicker, or indeed at all. What they can do is award you compensation and force VM to pay up if and when VM attempt to 'stiff' you out of what is owed to you under the OFCOM regulations which VM agreed to. Basically you are owed some £5.25 for each and ever day following and including the original promised installation or go-live date, plus some £26 for any 'missed' appointments where nobody turned up, or turned up but couldn't do anything or canceled with less than 24 hours notice.

And this racks up until either they install, you cancel (and it is still payable even then) or VM formally notify you that they will not be installing after all and will no longer be paying any compensation (although, even then they are obliged to continue paying for a further 30 days!).

So yes, get the paperwork in order, dates, what was promised, what happened etc.but alas you can't proceed with this until one of the above happens and VM fail (and they will) to pay you the required compensation.

MrBrownsofa: I am inclined to believe the permits have been approved as the yellow parking restriction signs are official as far as I know only the council can pop those up (could be wrong).

If there's a need for traffic control, that puts up costs quite a bit.  Which may mean the cost of the job exceeds the fixed budget VM have for each new installation, in which case the company will cancel your order.  If this does happen, on the plus side you'll be entitled to compensation from the original date VM told you until the company issue a formal "cease notice" to you, plus a further 30 days of compo. 

You certainly can take a complaint to the ombudsman, but the ombudsman can't force VM to do something the company say is uneconomic, and it's not clear they can force the company to speed up a delayed installation.  With compensation ordinarily (but not necessarily) paid after a delayed install is complete, consider what you might reasonably expect as an outcome of complaint. 

UPDATE

A dongle has been sent but is yet to arrive. (its 4G instead of 5G)

my local council has sent proof of the next permit for February and has stated “I cannot see any previous refused permits for this location .”

So VM and KC have been lying to delay my services. To what end? I assume they are waiting for me to cancel.