cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi in mancave

Jamieb14
Joining in

What’s best way off getting WiFi in my man cave which is about 30m away from my router ,

12 REPLIES 12

sophist
Trouble shooter

run an ethernet cable from the hub to the mancave and connect a wireless access point to it. 

Hi thanks for reply what do u mean by a wireless access point 

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1X...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Ok so if I , run an Ethernet cable from my router to this it will work ,will it be same network or different 

Depends how you set it up.

You can give it its own SSID and password or just copy that of your current setup

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Jamieb14
Joining in

Good evening I have a mancave around 20m from router ,how can I improve my signal in there ,without running an Ethernet cable as its a no go 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the electrical supply to the "mancave" is on the same electrical circuit as the Hub you could try powerline adapters. But it may well be on a separate circuit and so wont work.

Is it in a outbuilding, garage, attic, garden room or what ?? An exterior grade WAP might help in that situation.

Also a decent pair of PA's are getting into the price range of a good introductory Mesh system

But TBH - running ethernet cable is always best - why do you say it is impossible - what are the "barriers"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi my router is in the lounge and I've a mancave in garden about 20m or so from the router ,would have to go through 3 walls just to get it outside 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You mean your lounge has no exterior walls (or windows)?

If it does.... you only need to get it outside through 1 hole. Could drill it through the window frame. Or possibly feed it backwards through the same hole as the VM cable comes in from outside - using cable with no teminator ends fitted of course. Or are their any "airbricks" in the property? Our 1930's semi has several and I could easily run cable from my router outside through that. Or lift a floorboard and run it out that way.

Then as long as you use exterior grade Cat6a cable you can just tack it to the outside walls, garden fences, or in a trench in the flower bed or garden, etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.