cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and calls dropping out

Pritpal_N
Joining in
  • Hi

Please can someone here help. I recently joined Virgin and had an orange light on the router. Initially all seemed to work ok, so wasn't really worried about the light (even though the manual says it should be white).

For two days now my WiFi keeps dropping out. No SSID visible for my devices. I've tried the trouble shooting steps as shown on the Virgin Media app. I've even tried to reset the router from the back. Yesterday, the internet started working but again today I have the same issue. 

When I receive home phone calls, they keep dropping off when I pick up the call too. 

I've tried booking an engineer through the app but no luck.

I've checked local service status and all is ok, which leads me to believe the router is faulty. All my connections are fine btw.

Can someone help?

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this

Firstly... Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white/orange (failing LED) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

The SSID does not broadcast. So no WiFi on any device. I don't have any devices with an ethernet port so cannot test.

I've tried the reset method and I get various green lights on the front then a solid orange light at the bottom of the router.

I've just had someone try phoning me again and 5 times in a row the call dropped out.

The router is very hot too but in a well ventilated location. 

I have intermittent WiFi at the moment. Not even been with Virgin media a month having come across from Sky.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the Hub is overheating the light will turn bright red.

You can get an ethernet adappter for any ports your devices do have. So try that first.

Try calling it in as a fault (free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others - national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take a few days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'm not so confident in the LED. When it was working the light should have been white, but has always been orange. The router is most definitely hot. 

Thanks for the suggestion about purchasing an ethernet adapter John, but ideally I need an engineer to look at this as that's not an ideal solution for me. 

Let's hope a customer service rep and pick this up soon.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have been issuing old refurbished Hub3's for some time - so my money is on you having one of those... with the orange light "feature". Post up a photo of it and we can see if it has actually gone red.

Is the Hub out in the open or in a closed space?

If you do get a Tech visit to investigate - chances are you will get another re-furbed one 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Screenshot_20230115_160212_Gallery.jpg

Would someone from the team care to send an engineer out? I have no internet and when I do, here's the speed achieving on the 135mb package, if and when it works. It's really hard to call due to my shift patterns at work.

Screenshot_20230116_171824_Google.jpg

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Pritpal_N,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the service issues faced, just from checking our forums I can see that our team responded in another thread regarding the area fault details.

Do let us know if you are still affected after the advised fixed date.

Regards

Kain

Hi,

Thought I'd bring the convo back here. Your colleague said their is a local issue, however your website seems to suggest otherwise. I'm really not happy with my experience with Virgin. Are you able to send an engineer out as I am unable to call you during the times your lines are open. 

Screenshot_20230117_191516_Chrome.jpg