cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi slow on work laptop

matthlock
On our wavelength

I'm getting an intermittent fault, probably about once a week, where webpages are slow to load on my work laptop, email freezes momentarily and Teams meetings drop.  I've run a constant ping on the laptop and can see some spikes on the time and dropped packets.

IT support are saying this might due to me using a VPN, and that some ISP slow the connection when they detection a VPN, but the problem is not all the time and not that it's necessary slow but can see the packets drop too.

As a test, I've disabled the VPN client but it still happens.  I thought maybe it was the Wi-Fi from the Hub, as I do have issues with that in certain places in the house, but I also have a personal laptop on the same desk and that doesn't have any issue - running a constant ping on that looks stable.

So my questions are, does VM do anything with VPN connections so I can rule that out?
What's the best way to check if it's the Wi-Fi?  Could it be something with the Hub causing the issue?

I want to rule out as much as I can before going back to my IT support.

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin do not cap or interfere with VPN's.  But there do seems to be problems with some company VPN connections.

Can you try connecting your devices temporarily with an ethernet connection?  This will establish whether the problem is with the Virgin signal or with the internal WiFi.  There are other more complex tests that can be done, but this would be a good start. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

matthlock
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply.

Where the laptop is situated makes using an ethernet cable not possible. Its the other side of the room but in direct line of sight of the hub.

Its not a constant problem so it's not as easy a dragging it over to the hub and plugging in for 5 mins.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It is certainly possible... if you get a longer ethernt cable and just plug it in whilst you run the test for an hour or so to see whether it prevenes the issue.

With that data you will be able to decide the best way of solving it "permanently".

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Perhaps possible was the wrong word. I'd have to first buy a 20m ethernet cable and traipse it across my living room.  I'd prefer not to do that if there were other checks or tests I could do first.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok - search this forum with "VPN" there ar several recent thres=ads with similar issues that my be pertinent to your issue. Some offer solution that seem to work for some VPN's although (IIRC) concensus seems to be.... get your own router and use the Hub in modem mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If your problem only occurs infrequently then it's not likely to be a VPN issue.  That would normally be a go/nogo situation.

The dropouts are either going to be due to a broadband fault coming in, or a WiFi problem inside.  If you are not able to run a longer ethernet cable then the first step is to do a free BQM test. 

Go to https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and follow the instructions there to set up a test and post a live link here. After that runs for a day or two we can see if there are any faults on the broadband that Virgin will have to correct.

If that test is OK then we'll need you to copy some data from the Hub, and if that passes OK it will confirm a WiFi problem.  That can be improved considerably but would involve some expenditure, since Virgin don't guarantee WiFi speeds.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

matthlock
On our wavelength

Thanks.

I've previously had issues with the connection dropping so had already setup a monitor which shows no drop outs in the connection. This is support by the fact I'm also running a constant ping on a personal laptop at the same time without issue. That issue was resolved so it's not an Internet connection issue.

I'm almost convinced it's an issue with the laptop but need to rule everything else out before going back to it support, as they blame everything else first.

I assume the solution to improve WiFi with VM is to buy a new router though? WiFi on the VM hub is very underwhelming.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

From that later information, it does look very likely that this is a straightforward WiFi issue.

There are several ways of approaching this, one of which would certainly be a separate router. There are others of course such as various 'boosters' or extenders, or a mesh system.  If you can afford it, I'd certainly recommend the last option which could give a solid connection throughout your house.

- jpeg1