cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi unusable

RichardP1
Tuning in

I’ve had VM about 2 months and the Wi-Fi is subject to repeated dropouts, sometimes OK all day but more often repeated dropouts, as this morning when it has been mostly unavailable for 3 hours so far. Ethernet has been working continuously and registering 106 Mbps down & 10 up. Currently the Wi-Fi has been out continuously for more than an hour while Ethernet has been OK.

I have repeatedly tried all VM’s online checks, rebooting & resetting the Hob 3.0, Wi-Fi signal strength (when working) is “GREAT” in all rooms using their app. but I am mostly using the Wi-Fi less than 3 metres from the hub with no obstructions.

The only fault I have found is that one of the Ethernet sockets (No. 1) is faulty and although the cable clicks home it can disconnect if moved slightly — not faulty cable tried several that are OK in the other sockets.

VM’s checking system just takes me round in circles, including the phone help, offering rebooting, resetting, re-positioning etc as solutions and when that doesn’t work sends me off again on the same merry-go-round.

VM mentions interference but there’s nothing near the hub and I haven’t installed anything new. It’s a residential area of detached houses not very near.

I have had broadband for about 20 years from various providers from NTL/VM, BTelecom on both cable and phone line. The hubs have always been in the same place and I’ve always had a good signal around the single storey house & garden mostly on a connections lot less than the current 100Mbps.

At present I can see no option other than cancelling the service as not fit for purpose.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RichardP1,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your WiFi and with your Hub's Ethernet ports.

I can see that you've already spoken to my colleague a few days ago. 

Please keep us updated on how you get on on the other thread so we can assist further if needed.

Thank you. 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

RichardP1
Tuning in
When I follow VM’s broadband checking I often get this message “The Hub's WiFi channel settings have been changed, which might be causing issues. Follow the steps to reset the Hub's settings.”

But I have *never* changed any settings. All are at default and I’ve done several factory resets.

I can also “share” wifi from my Ethernet connected Mac and get a reasonable signal in the usual place I’m accessing the VM wifi.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Sounds like its a wifi only issue... so see this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RichardP1,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your WiFi and with your Hub's Ethernet ports.

I can see that you've already spoken to my colleague a few days ago. 

Please keep us updated on how you get on on the other thread so we can assist further if needed.

Thank you. 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina

Thanks. Yes I started this as the other seemed to get lost, however it’s sorted now — engineer came today and replaced faulty hub.

Richard