cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy wifi booster

Samcross
Tuning in

Hi, could someone tell me where to buy a WiFi booster/extender? I've seen multiple pages on the virgin site about how to use and the benefits but they seem impossible to actually find? 

Thanks 

18 REPLIES 18

I'm in a similar situation. We installed Virgin M100 on October 22nd 2019 after we experienced many drops with BT Infinity. The router had to be installed upstairs as the technician explained they were unable to drill through our metal door or replace the BT cable route to place the Virgin router downstairs where the BT one had been. The room downstairs now has much slower internet connection on a laptop than it had with BT and it is no longer possible to watch Netflix on the TV. We used the Virgin app to boost signal throughout the house and it stated the downstairs room was entitled to a booster. I saw from the additional information about it only being free if we subscribe to their TV service which we don't. I live with someone who works with Apple and has independent solutions but suggested we contact Virgin for a booster free as their service is failing to provide broadband to the entire household. 

Their helpline really ought to be for urgent cases right now. 

Perhaps I could email someone instead.

It would be interesting to hear what other people's experiences are like.

@Talha wrote:

We used the Virgin app to boost signal throughout the house and it stated the downstairs room was entitled to a booster. I saw from the additional information about it only being free if we subscribe to their TV service which we don't. I live with someone who works with Apple and has independent solutions but suggested we contact Virgin for a booster free as their service is failing to provide broadband to the entire household. 

Regarding the text in BOLD above - it's VM's job to provide the connectivity to the property and the hub - anything past that is your responsibility to optimise and fix.

The Virgin boosters aren't that great, even as freebies - you will still need to return them when you leave them as a customer, so you're better off investing in (and future proofing) your own equipment, such as a router or mesh system.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks for the speedy response!

From your experience, would there be a responsive email that I can contact about my concerns that I shouldn't be paying extra for their failure in providing a service?

Your own recommendations for independent boosters?

By the way, the lovely salesman that I saw by chance with a stall on the way to my place of study one day feeling annoyed by the poor BT Service was made redundant in March. I texted him yesterday to help out as he done for other things in the past and he told me the sad news. Devastating...

They're not failing in providing a service though - you are getting full speeds delivered to your hub I assume?

Have you done a speed test with an ethernet cable to confirm this?

If you need to improve/optimise wifi connectivity in your home, that's down to the customer at their expense.

As for recommendations - it depends what you're looking for and what to improve.
There are other factors to consider as well - house size, number of rooms requiring coverage, thickness (and number) of walls, distances to cover etc.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Holla13645
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tahla

You can Tex our help line number 07533051809 regarding your issue and one of the the agents will get back you you.

If my answer was helpful to you please mark as helpful.

Thanks

Darren

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Eero wifi mesh is really good

Hi there, i have hub 3 and i have some poor wifi signal areas upstairs. I have the VM connect app but the results says its ok. But I know it's not because I get poor reception. How can this be resolved?

Invest in your own better router or a mesh system 

@gary_dexter wrote:

Yes get the RE450 or RE650

Or look at getting a Mesh system or router 

This^

Thank you very much for suggesting the TP-Link RE650.

I bought it and it does an amazing job. My router is in the kitchen at the front of the house and my room is in the very back, plugged the extender halfway through and I'm getting a perfect signal and no connection dropping (unlike the BT extender I was using until now). I did a speed test on the router and I get 170 mbps, on the extender I get 125 which is more than enough.

Highly recommend!