cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Overall Service

ExCustomerSoon
Tuning in

I had called Virgin Media in October to cancel my broadband and telephone. At this point, I had signed up with BT - however BT later got back to me and stated that external works are required, so as of yet I don't have an installation date. When I spoke to Virgin, they confirmed that the end date can be extended as needed. So I first had it extended from November to December, then I called to have it extended by another month, so December to January.

Come December 24th, my services were disconnected. As I am covering the on-call service for an NHS Trust this was less than ideal. I called Virgin Media who confirmed a mistake was made and the form was not submitted when I called on the 18th. They said they would re-activate my service and it will take 24-48 hours. Begrudgingly I accepted as what other choice was there on Christmas eve. This was me defeated after 3 hours spent talking to Virgin Media on Christmas Eve instead of spending that time with my family. In those 3 hours I spoke to 4 different people.

The first lady took my number to call me back in case of disconnection, line got disconnected and she never called back - I can only presume this was deliberate as the question I asked before being put on hold was "How did the mistake occur?".

The second person promised 24-48 hours activation, and then put me through to their Indian call centre when I asked about my telephone line. She tells me I'm through to the wrong department and puts me through to another colleague in an Indian call centre. She tells me I will need a new contract, I explain that her previous colleague already said it will be activated in 24-48 hours. She then asks "Can you explain why it got disconnected?" to which my response was "I do not work for Virgin Media, that's the whole reason I called.". I then speak to a manager who admits a mistake was made, offers a measly £10 credit to my account which I have already surpassed with being forced to use hotspots on 2 devices and upgrading those sims to unlimited data. What a frustrating experience so far, but it gets worse.

Come 48 hours later, still no service. I ring once again and a lady I spoke to said it should be activated in 15 minutes. I waited 50 minutes, and called again as there was still no internet connectivity and the router continues to state "Access Denied" for Internet, Network Status continues to show "Not Allowed" under General Configuration. I'm now told by the gentleman it's going to be a further 24-48 hours as the "Back Office" is closed.

The options given to me were sign up for a new contract at 50% more than what I am paying now, but there's no guarantee that there will be a service as it may require new equipment, or wait another 24-48 hours. Again, what choice do I have now.

I asked to speak to a manager and there was reluctance and after pushing I am told a manager will call in 24-72 hours. I was offered credit for a month's service, but I am not after financial gain here, I just want a working service. In fact, I'm going to go out and buy a 5g Sim router for about £270 from Currys and take out a 5g Data Only contract for 30 days for another £40 - if they credited me that then it's a fair resolution.

Why is it that the staff at Virgin Media seem to be unaware of what is going on in their own organisation? Why was I made the initial promise of 24-48 hours. And then a further promise of 15 minutes? Why is it every time I speak to someone they have something different to say regarding the process? What a joke of a company, I strongly urge anyone to avoid Virgin Media like the plague.

I've wasted 4 hours of my life calling this company with no resolution, and it looks like I'll have more fun calls to make in 24-48 hours when inevitably my service will not resume. I've wasted more hours calling the hospital I work at to inform them that they cannot reach my landline and must change their system to point to my mobile phone. I'm having to work using a hotspot on my phone and keeping this device constantly on charge.

It's been a nice reminder as to why I chose to leave in the first place. Abysmal service, abysmal team, abysmal company.

6 REPLIES 6

WorstISP
Up to speed

Please relay your experience to OfCom so they understand the need for tighter regulator of UK telco: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints

vmrunreliable
Superfast

Do you honestly think the NHS is run any better? 

Not sure how that is relevant, but NHS: 1.8 million employees Vs Virgin Media: 18,000 employees. Health service Vs internet service. Vastly larger operation with multiple third-parties Vs comparatively smaller operation with fewer third parties. The list could go on, but neither relevant to this topic, nor a like for like comparison.

Thanks I certainly will be. I have already filed a complaint with Virgin Media with receipts of my expenses incurred as a result of failures on their part. I've asked to be reimbursed or provide me with a deadlock letter if they are unable to.

ExCustomerSoon
Tuning in

Further update, after a call this morning - the services are back online. I'm still awaiting a satisfactory response from the complaint filed.

Hi @ExCustomerSoon Thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I'm so sorry to hear about the poor experience you have had in the last week or so with the team and the service. 😞
This is far below the level of expectation we aim to provide to our customers, I can only apologise for what's happened so far.

I'm glad to hear that the team has rang you on Friday morning and the services are online.
You can check the update to your complaint here. The complaints team will aim to resolve your case as best as possible.
A response can take up to 30 days from the team who is working on this case.

Let us know how it goes once the team responds and hopefully everything will have bene sorted out.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs