cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Deco

gingermoonman
On our wavelength

Thinking of getting a TP Link Deco mesh set up as not happy with my Hub 4, can people recommend a certain model an are they easy to set up?

67 REPLIES 67

when the engineer came he up'd the upstream to 33.5 as it was originally 29.5 I think

Agreed, I this is an HFC area the upstream levels should be between 33-51 so the level would be on the upper limit and would possibly point to the network being out or needing a WB attenuator.  If this is a FTTP area your upstream should be 27-45 so would be in spec..

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

How do I know what area I am in? If it helps I am in Maidstone, Kent ME16 0DA

@gingermoonman wrote:

How do I know what area I am in? If it helps I am in Maidstone, Kent ME16 0DA

Do you have a power supply plugged into the internal wall socket?

Does the socket look like the below:

No mine looks like this, the lead then goes to the router and that has a normal power supply plugged into extension lead

IMG_9003.jpeg

@gingermoonman wrote:

No mine looks like this, the lead then goes to the router and that has a normal power supply plugged into extension lead

IMG_9003.jpeg

We can probably assume you are not in a FTTP area then.

I would still question the low power on the upstream, however since you say wired devices are ok I'd still suggest splitting the SSID, as mentioned earlier.

do you think that will stop the issue and speeds varying so much, one minute good the next not so good when connected the same way all the time?

also if I do split them then will not be able to use pods not that they are any good

@gingermoonman wrote:

do you think that will stop the issue and speeds varying so much, one minute good the next not so good when connected the same way all the time?

also if I do split them then will not be able to use pods not that they are any good

The HUB isn't known for handling the transition between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on the same SSID very well, hence why you could be seeing the erratic speeds.

Leave the 5 GHz as the same name, and append the 2.4 GHz band as the existing name plus '_2G' if you like, to see if that works out ok. That also means you won't need to reconnect all your wireless devices.

thanks for this, the only thing is that when I have done test they are one after another so it would not be switching between 2.5 and 5?

@gingermoonman wrote:

thanks for this, the only thing is that when I have done test they are one after another so it would not be switching between 2.5 and 5?

How do you know?

It could be. That's the whole reason for one SSID, to 'jump' between the bands depending on the distance from the HUB, interference, etc.

It's just that the HUB isn't very good at it...