cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 keeps resetting channels

bgs264
Tuning in

I've split up the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks into two different SSID's, but I am having trouble with the channel assignments.

The Superhub keeps insisting on putting the 2.4Ghz network onto Channel 11, and the 5Ghz network onto Channel 44.

These channels are very congested with 4 other networks also on these channels, according to my Wifi Channel Analyzer app (Virgin is the only choice here for fast broadband with no Openreach options, so I have competition from 4 other neighbours with VMxxxxxx network names on the same channel).

In the router I

• Navigated to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal
  • Chosen 'Disable channel optimisation' under the Smart WiFi section
  • Selected 'Manual' for the channel and chosen 6 for 2.4Ghz network
  • Selected 'Manual' for the channel and chosen '36' for 5Ghz network
  • Applied the changes

The wireless drops for a few minutes then comes back up, on 11/44 again, when I revisit the settings page, it's retained most of the options (e.g. its left Smart Wifi disabled and the channels on 'manual') but the actual channel selection dropdown has reverted back to 11 and 44.

I have factory reset the router as well as the usual restarting it. I actually managed to get it to stick on 6 and 36 for about 24 hours, before it reverted itself again overnight and now I'm back on 11/44.

The practical trouble for me with the 5Ghz network on Channel 44 means when my laptop is connected to it, I get about 18Mbps download speed. When I manage to persuade it to get onto Channel 36, I get the full 110Mbps download speed.

I was going to give up and buy an external Netgear wireless router but then I think I shouldn't really have to do that, the router should keep on the channels I want which is enough to give me a brilliant connection.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

mk_83
Joining in

I found a resolution for this. I too split my networks 5ghz & 2.4ghz with separate SSIDs. My 5ghz network kept reverting to channel 44 (which had poor coverage in my home) even though I'd selected 'Manual' in the Channel settings and 'Disable Channel Optimization in the Smart WiFi settings. 

The fix that worked for me was to change the channel to my desired channel (48 in my case). My 'Channel' settings were already set to 'Manual' and 'Smart WiFi' was already set to' Disable Channel Optimization' from my previous attempts. Click Apply changes. 

Then select 'Enable Channel Optimisation' / Apply changes. Then select Disable Channel Optimisation'  / Apply Changes. 

The channel has remained on 48 ever since. 

It seems to me that the hub believes (erroneously) it's still on 'Enable Channel Optimization' even though I very clearly ticked the alternative option when I first attempted the move from auto to manual channel selection. By toggling the Channel Optimisation on and off again it appears to jog the hub's memory and ensure it registers the fact you don't want it to make any changes to your channel selection. 

I hope it works for you too. 

The saving aspect is indeed looking to be involved in this defect.
The time is takes the SH3 to implement the settings is far longer than the time it takes the SH3 to refresh the browser after clicking on "Apply changes".

Considering this time issue what does appear to be working on our SH3 is to "Disable Channel Optimisation", Manual set the channels etc for 2.4 & 5Ghz, then click on "Apply changes" once, then do not touch the web page of the SH3, leave the screen in view until it times out and reverts to the Sign in page.

Several days have passed since using this approach and both 2.4 & 5Ghz channel assignments have not changed. Time will tell if this is real progress.

Thank you for the update @Client62.

Glad to see you were able to find a resolution for this. Please continue to monitor the service and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs