cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub VMDG480 intermittent communications with the hub

keith_df
Joining in

Hi folks,

I have intermittent (and increasing) drop-outs, so started by looking at the hub through its web interface at 192.168.01

Significantly, the intermittent communications affects that (very local) connection, I suppose implying a problem with the hub. Reading the forum, I notice that this is an old hub, so maybe it needs replaced. Am I right? Or is there another possible explanation and solution? 

Log shows few or no errors. I only use the cable (no wifi at all in use here). I have performed reset - no discernible effect.

The problem appears this way: I click on a link (even in the hub interface) and nothing happens, or the web browser says there is no internet. Click again, wait, click, wait, click - suddenly it works. Repeat. 

I have rather little technical knowledge at this stage. 

Many thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

keith_df
Joining in

I should now add that, noting all the issues and comments published on this board, I have looked at the alternatives. I pay about £50 per month for Virgin's internet (with landline) and have just received a quote for 100Gb for £17 per month from a rival. Others also offering, what is on paper, much better value. Maybe the answer is staring me in the face. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think that is the original SH1 - it belongs in the skip. It only broadcasts on one frequency at a time - 2.4 or 5 GHz. Which is useless as most people now have a mix of devices - new ones connecting on 5GHz for better and faster connections - and older simpler devices (doorbells, cameras, etc) that are 2.4 only.

Call in and tell them you want to use both bands now and this Hub is not fit for purpose - they ought to arrange for it to be swapped.

If they um and ah on the phone --- a VM person on here should do it for you in a day or so when they get here

Are you out of the contracted period? If so you can leave with no charges with 30-days notice. Otherwise there would be early disconnection charges as per the link

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. I did not choose VM - they took over NTL which I was with from 2003, so I am sure there are no exit costs.

As for wifi frequencies - I never use wifi - the hub is strictly wire only (and gets disconnected by an inline switch whenever not in use). 

Basic is my way. 

I'll call them, to give them a chance, but I am now seriously considering a 4G-based broadband and drop the landline. 

Funny when you said the router belongs in a skip - when the engineer came and installed it (I think maybe 2012) he had a fit at seeing what was there to replace (a 600kB cable modem). Ha ha - that replaced a morse code tapper I think. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you are all wired and its dropping connectivity.... then either the Hub is in its death throws and needs replacing or there is a fault on you connection that needs rectifying - probably a bad connection on the wiring somewhere.

Call it in as a fault and they should be able to see what your connection is like and see you have a museum piece and should arrange a Tech visit to sort it.

In the meantime I will flag for VM to come here and comment abd they can do that once they get to this thread.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi keith_df,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Really sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with our internet services, we know what a nuisance this can be.

As you have already advised you are connected via an Ethernet cable only, and are still experiencing regular drop outs, we will need to get investigated further for you. As our valued member @jbrennand has advised  we may even have to possibly arrange a technicians visit for you. 

I will pop you over a [private message so I can take some details from you, please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi keith_df,

Just to let you know I have now booked an appointment for a technicians visit. I have sent you a private message with the time and date.

When we have done further checks you do have a power level issue which needed to be addressed. 

If you need to re-schedule or cancel you can do so here.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Well, Jodi organised an engineer visit and the engineer turned up this morning at about 08:30 (very prompt!). He checked power levels did some "balancing" at the street box and replaced the old (SH1) hub with an SH3. So far so good- we will see how it goes. 

I cannot fault VM customer service at this point, though of course I used an unconventional rout to get help. Still, it worked. Given the premium cost, I think it is reasonable to expect a premium service and my experience in this episode has matched that expectation (as long as the new hub etc. have solved the problem). 

So thanks to the team. If problems still show up, I will let you know here. 

Thanks,

Keith.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Keith,

Thanks for keeping us updated, I'm really glad that everything seems to have been sorted for you! If you need any more help in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team