cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP ALG

richard_s1
Tuning in

Are VM able to turn SIP ALG off from their end on hub 3. I paid for a VOIP line and cant use it?

Thanks

Richard

85 REPLIES 85

@taylorjus wrote:

We are having the same issue with my daughter wfh with VoIP. 

if the hub is turned into modem mode, what functions do we loose from the hub? Please bear in mind I am not a techie.

This is what her company IT department have said 

I believe that the cause is located on the users LAN. The user does not experience this issue when in the office and is the only agent reporting this behaviour. I suspect that the SIP ALG is enabled on the users home router, SIP ALG inspects the packet as it traverses the router but can also affect SIP packets in unexpected ways, corrupting them and making them unreadable. This can give you unexpected behaviour, such as phones not registering and incoming calls failing.

can we just get another router and connect her to that? Any help would be amazing

You already have a thread. Please keep to the one

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

My answer is I am ditching Virgin end of Feb got a better price for a better service and NO SIP ALG. Broadband only and my SIP line will work. Via https://www.talkcheaper.net/ go and have a look.

Haven’t ordered anything yet, just looking at them all to try and find the right ones. Thanks guys for your on this, we thought it was never going to work but now there is a little hope 

With a SIP trunk DONT GO WITH VIRGIN. Good luck

Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable
voip engineer here. VM is fine for SIP. Whats not good is the hub in router mode.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
i.e. just use the VM Hub in modem mode with a router that allows you to control SIP/ALG. Basic ones that can do that can be had for £50-60 with the added benefit of netter routing features and improved wifi 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have 3 numbers on a SIP trunk, and 2 sip client lines

The trunks and a client are connected to a freepbx. The second client is a polycom SIP phone.

All work perfectly on VM. I use modem mode with a pfSense firewall.

The families mobiles all have Zoiper soft phones so they can all receive calls from either the family number as a group or individually through IVR direction.

It doesn't cost a lot to get VoIP working with VM. But you need to know what you are doing.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

And we don’t know what we doing. We just need a fix for my daughter to work from home during lockdown. 

We are not techie minded but we have had so many people trying to work this, if the extra basic router works I am going to be so happy for her and grateful to you guys.

I use my case to demonstrate that complex VoIP can be delivered on VM residential infrastructure. Not many would want to run trunks, clients a PBX and SIP connectivity from outside of the home network.

The solution has been given many times in this thread. Put the hub into modem mode. Connect a reasonable spec NAT router that supports  ALG management. And VoIP will work.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

The simple solution would be for VM to let customers or the call centers be able to turn the SIP ALG off. A friend of mine said they used to do this! My answer is, I have shopped around and found a provider that can give me a 350 down and 50 up connection for the same price of a 200 down 20 up from VM over fiber. Why should VM customers have to put the router into hub mode and have the expense of buying a router to give SIP service. My friend questions this as illegal practice?? When SIP ALG could be overridden in the past.