cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Issues?

susiemusic
Joining in

Can anyone help with the following issues? I think they may be related but my technical knowledge is not great.

I have been unable to get the Connect app to recognise the Hub 5 even though I have put my phone next to it, so I have gone into the hub settings via the IP address. On that, I have used the diagnostic tool and it has come up with a report to say that " Your home network has a few problems" and a red warning triangle against the WiFi connection. Then a list of "your device has a low signal strength, move it" messages. I am experiencing time-outs when trying to set up smart lights. The broadband speed is 350 Mbps as it should be.

I would be grateful for any help with this.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The backend database for the Connect app can take several days to catch up with Hub installs, so just persevere. Also make sure you are connected to the VM Wifi, and not using any VPN or Private Relay.

As for the stability of the Hub, post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@susiemusic wrote:

"Your home network has a few problems"

Who would of thought adding a diagnostic tool would tell you just how bad the hub really is...I suggest you use hub in modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi susiemusic,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, just regarding this matter when was the Hub 5 installed?

Also regarding the network, are you experiencing issues from range at all?

Let us know,

Kain

Hello Kain,

The hub was installed on Wednesday. As far as issues with range are concerned, I think the answer is yes. I can install/set up smart lights when I am downstairs near to the hub, but when I locate those same lights to fittings upstairs they are not recognised by the smart light software or by Alexa. They are recognised and functioning perfectly downstairs, so I would assume this is a range problem. I did not have this problem with my previous (Vodafone) router and it is only a small house, so not huge distances anywhere.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there,

Do you currently have any boosters/extenders setup in the affected area? 

Let us know,

Kain

susiemusic
Joining in

No, I don't.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you are on the 350Mb tier you will be charged £8pm for the extender Pods, unless you are a VM VOLT account? 

It may be better to look at a Mesh system or a simple Powerline wifi extender to get the wifi upstairs.  At least that's a one of payment and you own the kit. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am on the Volt bundle, so I should be able to get pods if needed. The initial problem being that I can't get the Connect app to recognise the Hub, so I can't use the tool to identify the problem and raise an order, assuming that a pod or two would be the answer.

Thanks

Sue

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ahh okay,

Well what we can do to help with signal issues is get a Pod ordered.

So we can do this I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain