cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IP is blacklisted

crkm51
On our wavelength

Hi

I cannot access a particular domain (Easily.uk) and a website I have hosted by Easily. Technical Support at Easily say this is because my IP is blacklisted and that I must contact Virginmedia to get the blacklist removed

MX Tools https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a80.6.112.212&run=toolpage

tells me the IP address is blacklisted by Barracuda, SORBS DUHL, Spamhaus ZEN.

I am having no problem accessing any other site on the internet. I am having no problem with email.

Please advise

Thanks in advance for your help.

Christie Marrian

76 REPLIES 76

Anonymous
Not applicable
"VM as owner of the IP address can request the entity that maintains a blacklist that the IP address be removed from their blacklist."

Not true. If i decide to block a load of IP addresses from a server VM have no power or right to tell me tp remove them. It would be me that would have to remove them. The ISP/IP owner has no say int he matter.

Same thing applies here

crkm51
On our wavelength

No I'm sorry but you are not correct...

VM have every right to request that you remove their IP addresses from your blacklist. You, of course, have every right not to comply with their request but I suspect VM might ask for a reason.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

To request that the IP is removed from the blacklist VM would need to know what you have done to fix the reason that it was blacklisted in the first place.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

crkm51
On our wavelength

A lot of these 'problems' resulting in the blacklisting of my IP address are historical as I mentioned earlier in the chain. For example, the SORBS listing is due to a problem from 2008 which is 2 years before I opened my VM account (and a long, long time before I started using my Superhub).

To be fair to Easily.uk, at least I have manged to get through to a real person on the phone on several occasions. Any hints on how to do the same with VM?

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Only the usual numbers ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is weekdays 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

I thinking, how sticky is the external IP address that VM allocates to the hub? From reading through this, it not this external IP address that is blacklisted?
I don't know what the lease time is for the external IP address, nor do I know if by switching off the hub for a number of hours then switching it back on, if you will be allocated a new external IP.

Regards
KK

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The way that the leases are handed out means that the IP address is very sticky, when the  hub requests an IP address it sends the hardware address and if that address has previously been given an IP address and it is still available then you will get the same one.

The only way the IP address may change is -

1) Virgin media re-segment the network to increase the capacity.

2) Running the hub in modem mode with your own router, as that would have a different hardware address.

3) Turning off the router for a indeterminate length of time (may take mths), but that will only work if a new device requests an IP address.

4) Changing the hub, which VM will only do if the hub is faulty, being blacklisted is not a fault.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help
In my case switching the superhub to modem mode only changed the last three digits of my IP address which did not help with the blacklist issue as it appears to that the entire range of IP addresses is on the blacklist.

spgray
Problem sorter
i doubt an entire range of IP addresses are on the blacklist, if they are then that's foolish by the blacklist company.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

crkm51
On our wavelength
I agree
But it does seem to be the case
Copy and pasted from SORBS DUHL (note it is an issue from 2008)

Summary information for xx.y.zzz.16/32
Note: Times shown are for the latest entry only!
Found 2 network entries and 0 host/domain entries.

Usage classification (only important if you run your own mailserver.)
1 "DUHL" entries [03:34:22 19 Dec 2008 GMT-05].

Spam Rats seem to have a problem with VM's reverse DNS which I assume can't just apply to my IP addresses. Copy and paste below with my x's etc

Reverse DNS for this IP address is:
cpcxxxx-cmbgyy-z-w-custxx.y-z.cable.virginm.net
The naming convention for this IP address does NOT comply with 'Best Practices for Email Operators'.
You will NOT be able to remove this IP until this naming convention is corrected.