cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phones won't connect via wifi

JohnB14
Joining in

Due to some home maintenance yesterday, it became necessary to unplug the power and cables from my Hub 3 router. The router was disconnected from the power for approximately 1 hour. Upon reattaching the router to the power source the router was switched on and allowed to boot. Everything appeared to be fine. Telephone connected, two laptops connected (these are connected by ethernet). Two amazon Kindle fire were also connected via WiFi.

Within the house there are two further laptops which require a WiFi connection along with 3 Mobile Phones.. While one of these further laptops connects easily to WiFi the other, along with all of the mobile phones refuse to connect.

I've checked all cables and Coul these are all fine. I have turned the router off and restarted it but the problem still persists, i.e., this one laptop and the mobile phone refuse to connect to a WiFi connection.

On checking what connections are available on the laptop and phones all I can see is Virgin Media (this was in use some years ago when Virgin Media sked me to run a speed check box on my system for 6 months (SAM something or other - a white box anyway.) I didn't create this name so I presume Virgin Media did. I can't even find it on my router. My Hub 3 should be displayed as VM******. This is not showing on my phones or laptop.

I've tried connecting the phones, etc., via WPS but all I get is a message saying Couldn't connect to WPS. Try again in a few minutes. I've been trying since yesterday afternoon.

I've done a Hub 3 diagnostic and it tells me that the home network has a few problems. The diagnostic report is as follows:

1. Gateway IPV4 address is valid

2 Your Broadband connection is working

3 Your Broadband is ready

4 The temperature of your Hub 3 is normal

5 The device f4:69: *: *: has a low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3. This is actually mark DIGA whatever that is:-)

6 The device f8:74:*:* has low signal strength, please move closer to Hub 3.

7 The device 64:79:*:*: has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.

8 Please place your WiFi device near Hub 3.

I have placed all of the devices within millimeters of the Hub 3 but nothing happens, still no connection.

I also have a NetGear extender which I use for downstair. This also will not connect. If I attempt to connect anything to the extender it simply says that it is looking for an IP number.

I've done everything that I can think of, but still can't get these items to connect. Before I disconnected the Hub from the power yesterday everything work like clockwork!

Any suggestions? Incidentally according to the VM website there are no service outages in my area so everything should be working as normal - unless, of course, a fault has developed on the Hub 3.

Thanks for any help

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please try a pin hole reset of the hub, make sure you hold the switch in for 1 minute and then the hub will reboot, do not power cycle it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please try a pin hole reset of the hub, make sure you hold the switch in for 1 minute and then the hub will reboot, do not power cycle it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, Tudar; that solved the problem.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JohnB14

Thanks for posting on the community forum!

Glad to hear the helpful advice from Tudor resolved the issue for you.

Have a great weekend

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs