cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband

rac45
Joining in

Is anyone else totally cheesed off with Virgin's inability to deliver a reliable broadband service? I have been suffering connection problems for a month now. First I was told it would be fixed by 7th March. It wasn't. Then I was told it would be fixed by 13th March. It wasn't. Then I got texts and emails on 22nd March to announce that the problem is fixed. It wasn't. Today is 29th March and it is still not fixed!

Like many, I work from home. But the broadband service from Virgin is just impossible to work with. This is costing me money because I cannot work properly.
I have had to resort to disconnecting from Virgin and using my phone as a hotspot! Why am I having to pay for a service I cannot use?

Given the repeated broken promises that it will be fixed, and that Virgin falsely claims to have fixed it, I have no faith whatsoever in this being resolved. Virgin claims their broadband is 16x faster. No, it isn't even as fast as my mobile phone!

4 REPLIES 4

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi rac45,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing problems with intermittence on your Broadband service. I've taken a look on our end, and can see that you've spoken with our team about this and been able to book a Technician.

Please do let us know how the visit goes, and we'll be more than happy to help if things remain unresolved.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Latest update. An engineer visited and confirmed there is no problem with the equipment in my home and that the issue lies with the Virgin network. He said that would be reported back to the network engineers. The problem persisted. I called Virgin again to be told that I just needed to perform a factory reset on the hub and everything would be fine. I completed the factory reset. Everything was not fine. I have spoken to Virgin again today because the broadband connection continues to disappear every minute or so. Another engineer visit has been arranged for the day after tomorrow. I have been told they are sending one of the 'best engineers'. I have no expectation that he will resolve anything.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this....
_________

Firstly... Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

Then.....

Lets look at the connection data and a BQM so we can advise on what needs doing - - can you do this....

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. No need to log in - just click on the “Router Status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4/5) or top/right (SH’s) - of the Login page.

Then… Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts
Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi rac45, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one with an update. We're sorry to hear things have continued despite an engineer visit. 

When it's referred to the Networks team, they will look into things and put plans in place to resolve things. If another engineer has been booked, then this would automatically be a more senior engineer if you've had an engineer visit within the last 30 days. 

They can check some extra things but chances are, they may also need to refer this up to the Networks team. 

Please keep us posted on how the latest visit goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs