cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub WiFi appearing and disappearing

alexr998
On our wavelength

Evening,

This has happened a few times lately, I'll notice my phone isn't on WiFi, my home network won't be there, wait a little bit and it'll appear my phone will connect and it'll disappear again until eventually it stays on.

Also, the WiFi signal is and always has been terrible.. I've tried to get help on this before but just got fobbed off saying it must be where it's placed, it's in the same place previous routers were placed and they had no issues at all. I've lived with it until now but a few things have changed meaning I rely on the WiFi signal more.

I'm not paying for boosters when the hub should be capable of giving a WiFi signal more than 10ft away from Itself, just checking if anything can be done before I cancel.

Thanks Alex 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's not logical to say every other router I've had worked flawlessly in the same location where the hub barely works because internally they're different?

According to the terms the hub I have is the property of virgin media and the use/rental of it is factored into what I pay each month. And according to ofcom virgin media are indeed liable for the WiFi speeds as long as it's within a reasonable distance etc. I'd say expecting Alexa to be able to stream music 10ft away was reasonable.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You havent said what Hub model you actually have? If its a Hub3/4 try the procedure below. If it doesnt work then getting your own better quality equipment will be the best solution.

Go into the Hub3/4 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network SSID's (their "names").  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - alexr_2 & alexr_5) -- use the same password for simplicity, 

Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the best network for each device you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

alexr998
On our wavelength

Apologies, should have added more info. It's the hub 3. I've had them separated and I've had it set manually on different WiFi channels and it's the same just painfully slow unless the device is right next to the hub.

Seems to be a well documented issue online with the hubs, or the hub 3 at least.

alexr998
On our wavelength

That's what I want mine for mainly gaming and it's just not up too it, can't run a cable anymore and it's unusuable upstairs even though it's directly above the hub 

Gaming should be done over a cable, never wifi

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Lol I'm not a competitive gamer, it should be playable over WiFi when it's about 3m from the hub I pay for 100Mb and get about 1Mb with a huge ping.

Its my only option at the minute, there's no way it should drop that much, same for other devices

The 100Mbps you pay for applies to speeds to the hub and wired speeds only, not wifi.

How do wired connections behave in comparison, speed and connectivity wise?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Yes I know.

Wired varies, sometimes it's full speed others it's half.

If I test my speed wired and it's at full speed I can into the next room with the laptop on 5ghz and it'll barely be 1Mb, same for upstairs. Obviously it's going to drop on WiFi but drop that much? I don't think so.

Have you optimised the wifi?

Turned off "smart wifi"?
Split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?
Scanned for channel congestion on each band and set fixed, non/least congested or overlapping channels for each band?

Yes,  all of that. They blamed congestion at first until I told them there's no other WiFi within range of me. Seems well documented online about the hub 3