cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 initial Speeds Query

Evans8773
Joining in

Hi all.  Just took delivery of my Hub 4 and set it up. It went through its updates procedure and then I got online.  Sat right next to it I am getting 500mb and at furthest reaches of the house it’s jumped from 170 (350 package) to 310-80 Does the connection need time to settle down or should it be running at its fastest from the off.  

cheers 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No settling in is required.

I take it those speed tests are over wifi and its normal for those to drop off as you move further away from the Hub and they will fluctuate with interference

Test speeds at    https://speedtest.samknows.com  - try on 2 different browsers. Also test on ethernet cable connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes over WiFi, should I not be getting more sat right next to the hub, the laptop was the only device connnected.  

Depends on your settings for the 5GHz band and your laptop WiFi card capabilities.

You can check what your WiFi link speed is by right cicking the 'fan' icon in the system tray and then selecting 'Open Network & Internet Settings.

From there click properties and then scroll down until you see 'Link Speed'.

You'll probably get about half what that shows.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You said you were getting 500 and I read it that you were on the 350 package - I guess you meant that you moved from that and are on the 1GB?

What laptop make/model is it ? Others will comment on its GB speed potential on wifi - as I am still on the 200 package and always get 200-220 on wifi, 🙂

Do a search of the forum as there are several threads about wifi speeds on the GB package

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.