cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 dead - losing connection

Courierthebold
Joining in

My hub 3 keeps losing internet connection, every other day it drops internet though the WiFi is still running internally.

I suspect the modem in the hub is failing and reported this.

I've had TWO engineers onsite who double checked all the cables, signal strength etc and left as everything seemed fine.

VM's online help tools are worse than useless as they just keep a loop of telling me to turn it off and on again.

I had to post on your Facebook page to get ANY response.

This is utterly unacceptable.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

83 REPLIES 83

Hi Courierthebold

Thanks for coming back to us. 

I've checked this with the field team, they've advised the following;

No issues on the network, they've replaced the fibre node in the cabinet. The check before this passed and the one after passed as well. Lowered the levels to make them spot on. 

Have you connected direct to the super hub when losing connection, or always in modem mode? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Have you connected direct to the super hub when losing connection, or always in modem mode? 

I do not use modem mode.

Yes. No WAN.

When it fails, it all fails, no matter what it or isn't connected.

In previous posts I have detailed the various configurations. I've set the hub up in a vanilla state (no LAN, just WiFi). Changed the SSID to remove all wireless devices. The only thing I haven't done is buy my own router and use modem-only mode.

Even more outages over the weekend.

This is today.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7da9b8b016d568236ab14955b1ea9df019...

This is Sunday

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7bc1819dd5ade5acfb16e49a04d1cdf30d...

This is Saturday

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/283aed3b42859dcbf5d227c6adeb0f6619...

You *should* be embarrassed by this.

What do I have to do in order for Virgin Media to acknowledge this problem is STILL happening, and for Virgin Media to DO SOMETHING?

Where is the area manager I was told was handling this a month ago? The only contact I've had from VM is a few posts here telling me "everything looks fine", that "someone is looking into it" or asking the same questions I've been asked way too many times already.

This is a farce.

Hi Courierthebold,

I am sorry that you're still experiencing issues. Just to clarify, can you detail your current set-up for me? The most recent note on your account states that you are using your own LAN network, and it is our technician's belief that this may be the source of the issues with your connection.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Hi Laurie,

"your account states that you are using your own LAN network, and it is our technician's belief that this may be the source of the issues with your connection."

I'm sorry but that is utter rubbish, and a very poor excuse!

* I have been using a LAN for years, years before these outages started in March.

* My LAN is a decent LAN switch with nothing out of the ordinary connected to it. Your "technician"'s claim implies your Hubs are faulty and useless for connecting a couple of PC's and an XBox!

* I have repeatedly tested the setup by 1) Removing the LAN from the Hub. 2) Renaming the SSID to remove ALL devices from the WiFi network. 3) Resetting to factory settings..... and the outages still occurred. Every time. Regardless of the set-up. Regardless of what was connected to it. The Hub simply drops it's WAN connection and cannot reconnect.

We've had three engineers on site, cables checked repeatedly, signal strength checked repeatedly, replacement Hub, replacement power supply and there is no change to the problem.

When I finally got told to post here and create this thread TWO MONTHS ago I was told it would be escalated and someone would post on here with an update. Since then, nothing. No response except more helpful replies telling me everything looks fine or asking me the same questions over and over again.

The fact is : Something changed on my setup in March as we went from having a FLAWLESS service to SEVERE outages up to 3 times every day.

I suspect it's a firmware issue sent to the Hub, or some sort of network config error. If all of the hardware has been checked, then the problem must be a config issue in the software.... right?

Why else would the hub be falling over every few hours with the following errors?

01/01/1970 00:01:38criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC
18/07/2021 16:33:6noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM-MAC
01/01/1970 00:01:37criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC
18/07/2021 09:52:57noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM-MAC

NOTE: The ATOM service attempts to "self-heal" but fails, then the following log entry has a timestamp of 01/01/1970. The Hub is falling over and not reconnecting. This happens regardless of what's connected to it.

When is someone going to look at this seriously? 

I don't need anyone else to tell me everything looks fine or ask more questions that have already been answered in this very thread on multiple occasions. I need this issue looked at and fixed. I'm an IT Support veteran, and I would have been fired if I had let down a customer the way I have been let down by Virgin Media.

I reported this issue in March and it's still unresolved.

In June I was told the area manager was looking at it and would get back to me.

I formally complained a week ago and was promised it was being dealt with and someone would get back to me.

Silence.

Todays "service" indicator.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0eccb2d0cd758949bbf013cb9974a0c258...

When is someone actually going to contact me as promised?

Hi Courierthebold,

In our most recent email from the Area Field Manager, he has stated that all diagnostic tests on your line have performed and been passed. The amplifier has been replaced, and your levels have been attenuated, and all tests show that there is no issue with your connection.

I am going to send the AFM another email to see if there are any other diagnostic checks that we can perform. I'll get back to you as soon as I recieve a response, thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Hi Laurie,

So according to your area manager I don't have a problem?

Everything is just fine?

I guess not ONE person has actually LOOKED at the BQM links you asked me to set up?

I guess no-one (except me) has put a network monitor on my connection?

Thank you for confirming beyond any doubt that absolutely no-one at Virgin Media cares.

Hi Courierthebold,

I am sorry about this. I can assure you that we absolutely do care about your issue, and would like to see this resolved for you. I'm going to send you a Private Message so that I can open a complaint for you. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Hi Laurie.

FYI a complaint was filed about two weeks ago.

An escalation was raised two months ago.

Hence my anger.

Hence my frustration.