cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many connected devices are allowed on Hub 3 router?

PDS123
Tuning in

I have c. 50 devices (mix of smart bulbs, Alexas, smart plugs, iPads, computers, etc) and I can no longer add additional smart home devices via either the Virgin Media router or an Airport Express Base Station (1st Generation) + two further Airport Express devices on a separate home network but connected via Ethernet to the Virgin hub.

Is there a maximum number of devices allowed on Virgin's Hub 3 including those connected in addition and presumably cumulatively via a connected separate wifi network as indicated above?

Thank you for any assistance offered!

78 REPLIES 78

I had, and probably still have, all my own equipment capable of working at the required 100mbps. If VM had sent out a qualified service engineer capable of showing one way or another that my or their equipment was at fault, the problem would be solved now. But I have to solve it myself.  I was hoping there would be a simple setting change, hence my request for assistance on this community. It appears not. 

By changing to a supplier that hopefully values its customers, I hope I'll get better service if problems are encountered.

Oh, VM has just reminded me (almost a threat) that l'll lose my email address if I move. What a great company. 

@SonarUK wrote:
did you manage to sort it? did you grab one of the usb adapters to try?

Yes, i got one of those adaptors and it's working now at about 85Mbps.  Thank you!

It's such a shame that VM contributed nothing towards solving the problem that they created and have actually benefited from

I'll have to stay with them until such time that Offcom force them (and all ISPs) to enable email addresses to be transferred or retained when changing to another provider.

VM might not reply due tot he thread being started by someone else, you might need to create your own thread and link to this one or mentioen all the steps taken in the first post.

85 does not sound right - that little gadget should be giving you more if your on 350.

---

What i can advise you to do from here onwards

Create your own topic/thread as you are not the orignal topic starter.
link to this thread and try to add all steps taken in the first post.

now after you posted the first post copy/paste the router logs into the second post (click post twice if you see an error message) all the personal bits will get took out.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

@adrianjacobs wrote:

@SonarUK wrote:
did you manage to sort it? did you grab one of the usb adapters to try?

I'll have to stay with them until such time that Offcom force them (and all ISPs) to enable email addresses to be transferred or retained when changing to another provider.

That will never happen as it simply isn’t how email (and to some extent, the internet in general) works.

I believe one of the major isps (BT?) will allow you to continue using your email address after you leave, for £5 a month.  Offcom have been making noises about forcing other providers to do the same or preferably at lower cost/free. 

So, 3 weeks after being sold an upgrade to overcome the intermittent dropout problems I was having due to "more than 7 devices connected at the same time", I am now having intermittent connection problems - again.  Most of today my WiFi has been up and down like a yoyo.

Looking for a means to monitor the WiFi so I can measure exactly how often and for how long the WiFi drops out. Any suggestions? 

@adrianjacobs wrote:

I am now having intermittent connection problems - again.

Of course you are stop using the hub in router mode get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

@adrianjacobs wrote:

I am now having intermittent connection problems - again.

Of course you are stop using the hub in router mode get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode. 

If I understood what means, maybe I could do that.

Or, I could get Virgin to provide the service I'm paying for. 

@adrianjacobs wrote:

VM service is by wire not wireless like may people think they only put WiFi on the hub because other ISP are not because its part of the service you pay for. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

@adrianjacobs wrote:

VM service is by wire not wireless like may people think they only put WiFi on the hub because other ISP are not because its part of the service you pay for. 

Then VM have 2 problems:

1. They sell systems "for up to x WiFi devices" to connect to.

2. They send out service engineers that "are not trained on wires"

They have been unable to offer a satisfactory system either wired or wireless