cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet ports not working in modem mode

JazzJames
Joining in

I’m trying to put my super hub 3 in modem mode but every time I do, the Ethernet ports stop working. They work fine when not in modem mode.

The set up worked fine with my super hub 2 so don’t think it’s a cable or switch issue.

Also, the router won’t come out of modem mode unless I do a 60sec reset. 

anyone else experienced this issue or have any possible solutions?

21 REPLIES 21

@JazzJames wrote:

It worked with the super hub 2, what’s changed on the super hub 3?

Nope you had the super hub 2 in router mode in modem mode only one source MAC for one WAN IP is allowed. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the responses. I’ve disabled WiFi and reverted to using the access points, with the super hub connected to them via a switch. However, I get different mpbs from 1 minute to the next. I can get as much as 90 to 100 mbps then as low as 1mbps. 

can anyone advise as to what the issue might be?

thanks

Get a router use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

When the hub goes into modem mode this is what happens:

a) Wifi is switched off,

b) The DHCP server will hand out one - AND ONE only ip address which is the WAN address, This is currently a public ip address but as VM rolls out CGNAT (an oxymoron of a term) it will be a private ip address - but not in the normal range.

Attaching multiple devices via switch won't work as one address is offered, You need something which can do internal NAT e.g. a router.

Hope this clarifies.

instead of buying a new router and setting the hub in modem mode, can I not just deactivate WiFi on the hub and connect it to the switch to then connect out via Ethernet to the access points? Does it not just do the same thing? 

@JazzJames wrote:

instead of buying a new router and setting the hub in modem mode, can I not just deactivate WiFi on the hub and connect it to the switch to then connect out via Ethernet to the access points? Does it not just do the same thing? 

Why would you want an inferior device handling your routing, NAT, DHCP, security etc. ?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

The super hub will not provide WiFi throughout my house. So I have Ethernet wires through the house, with access points placed on three floors providing WiFi. They are routed back to a tplink smart switch that is connected to the VM hub.

Id rather keep the switch because I paid for it and don’t want to have to pay now for a router too.

@JazzJames wrote:

The super hub will not provide WiFi throughout my house. So I have Ethernet wires through the house, with access points placed on three floors providing WiFi. They are routed back to a tplink smart switch that is connected to the VM hub.

Id rather keep the switch because I paid for it and don’t want to have to pay now for a router too.

Do that then.

But I would still get a cheap router to handle all the routing etc. rather than leaving it to the hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

So plug the hub into a router with a couple of ports then plug the router into the switch so I can make use of all the devices plugged into the switch ports?

what router would you recommend?

Put the hub into modem mode.

Add a router.

Add the switch etc. to said router.

Depends on your budget etc. regards what to get.