cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband signal strength

loukerr65
On our wavelength

New customer signed up on 20th Dec using the broadband for the first time last week and the signal didn’t even get to my daughters room, called, logged a complaint with both account manager and customer service to which I was told I’d get a call back and nothing!  
Same issues this week, only me working from home and zoom video calls drop consistently and then today, Monday, daughter can’t even get connected to google class room on brand new chromebook for school work. Awful service and customer support!  

im still waiting for my account manager, Martin, or customer service to call me back funny how they have waited till after the 14 day cooling off period!  
missold frauds are words which come to mind!!

I will never recommend this company! 

23 REPLIES 23

loukerr65
On our wavelength

The only thing connected to Ethernet is my virgin tv and guess what there is currently an issue with that in my area, it just keeps getting better and better! 
prior to the tv area issue movies were jumping and sporadically buffering at the weekend so I suppose the answer is no things aren’t good…

Customer service at its best, I’m sure the leaders of this company are very proud of themselves! 

If there’s an area issue then you need to wait for it to be resolved.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Oh dear had to go to my mobile provider to load this community on my mobile and I’m sitting right beside my hub, seriously how can this be the level of service received?!?

Depends - what issues are you actually having?

So far it's unclear 2 pages in

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Honestly Gary I’m not sure one minute the signal is fine, next it isn’t! 
I’ve been back to work a week and zoom calls regularly drop for no reason stating bad internet connection. I’ve never had a zoom call drop ever on sky, stutter for a sec but never drop out! And it’s not the laptop! 

my mobile works one minute then fails to load anything the next even standing beside the hub

the whole setup is totally hit and miss! It just feels like the whole thing is a mess!?! 
ive used the connect app to test everything again one scan will say all good the next one a few mins later will say poor or no signal and then direct me to optimise my hub, honestly I’m losing the will you live with this, wish I’d never left sky this is appalling!! 

to top it all off at least when I had any issue with sky I could chat to someone but after waiting 40 mins to do so I was cut off, this really is the worst customer service ever!

Ignore the connect app.

What optimisation have you done to the wifi already?

Have you split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands? Disabled the "smart" wifi? Chosen fixed, less congested channels for each band?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You still havent answered the key question....

When you test it on an ethernet cable connection is it stable?

If it is a stable connection then its up to you to sort the Wifi out - start with what Gary suggested above - if that doesnt sort it - report back.

If ethernet connected laptop/computer loses connection - then you have an equipment/connection issue that only VM can fix - come back here so we can troubleshoot that problem.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John it is stable when I connected it but it’s so sporadic! 
for instance just had a complete outage across 4 different devices, by the time I connected the laptop via Ethernet it was stable again. That surely isn’t normal.

Gary, I am totally new to virgin media, so I’ve only used the connect app to do any optimisation. Can you provide links to user guides to take the actions suggested please! 
 my opinion of virgin will not change, this is a company with terrible customer service, as much as I really appreciate all your help and guidance IMHO it shouldn’t be up to a community to solve problems that exist with a service provider I’m paying for! You are a good citizen sir thanks!! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@loukerr65 wrote:

John it is stable when I connected it but it’s so sporadic! 
for instance just had a complete outage across 4 different devices, by the time I connected the laptop via Ethernet it was stable again. That surely isn’t normal.

That doesnt help decide.  You say its stable but sporadic - that's mutually excluded in my head - it is one or the other 😎

4 devices outages - but were they all wifi connected ?

"By the time you connect the ethernet its stable" - Just leave the laptop connected to the ethernet (24/7) - then when the wifi drops on any other device you are using.... go straight to the laptop and see if it had dropped out.

I think its wifi only - so see this.

On a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.