cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I give notice to cancel online?

chaotic_j
Joining in

Hi,

I've just been on the phone 45 minutes, 30 on hold and 15 discussing my deal/waiting to speak with a manager.

When I stated I'd like to give notice, the call dropped? Your phone line closes at 8pm.

Why in 2022 can we not give notice to cancel online?

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @chaotic_j,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. 

We are unable to process any cancellation requests via your online account, the only ways that you can cancel with us are 

• Calling into us on 150 from a Virgin landline and 0345 454 1111 from any other numbers.
  • WhatsApp message on 0730 532 7112
  • Written letter to  Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. Please include your name, address and account number so we know who you are.

Regards,

Steven_L

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@chaotic_j wrote:

Hi, I've just been on the phone 45 minutes, 30 on hold and 15 discussing my deal/waiting to speak with a manager.  When I stated I'd like to give notice, the call dropped? Your phone line closes at 8pm. Why in 2022 can we not give notice to cancel online?

Cheers!

Why not?  Well it's trivially easy to implement that capacity via a web interface (as VM do in Eire), but here in the UK, VM choose not to.  Why make it easy for customers to leave?  Who would be helped by that?  Obviously the company haven't learned from what happened to AOL, who became infamous for similar practices, and went from being the world's largest ISP to nothing.

Strictly speaking, Ofcom insist under their Fairness Commitments that "customers can sign up to, change and leave their services quickly and smoothly. Providers ensure that customers who are leaving do not face additional barriers or hassle compared to those who are signing up to new services."  Over and above the pointless fairness commitments, VM's behaviour is a clear breach of Ofcom General Condition C1 that reads "Without prejudice to any Commitment Period, Regulated Providers shall ensure that conditions or procedures for contract termination do not act as disincentives for Relevant Customers against changing their Communications Provider."   But since Ofcom do little to police or enforce those rules, VM ignore them.  You could at least let Ofcom know.