cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt - worth changing user name?

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

Hello,

I'm a long time customer of both 02 and Virgin Media.

Unfortunately, the Virgin Media account is in my husband's name rather than mine.  

Given this:"Soon, you’ll be able to get Volt benefits through your household’s Virgin Media broadband account – so will anyone else who has their own O2 Pay Monthly plan at your address."

Can anyone tell me HOW soon?  Or is it worth my updating my details to have my own name in as the Virgin Media owner?   

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

Sure thing - here we are.  As you can see, it says “To update your account details … “  

This isn’t actually possible although four out of the five people I spoke to didn’t understand that either, and just kept transferring me to someone else.  

F251A5AA-C43F-4B3A-8E83-3A261B67CE09.png

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AlanBarr,

Thank you for your post. 

To be able to benefit from the Volt benefits both accounts would need to be in the same name. 

^Martin

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

Thank you Martin.  I called to set this up but unfortunately they can’t actually do that.  It would mean closing down the account (with all associated charges) and opening a new account in my wife’s name.  Other than the first name, every other detail would be the same.  (It took two hours and five transfers to get to this point, so let’s draw a veil over that).  This despite an email from VM saying, just give us a call to update your account details.  All very disappointing.  

Thank you for the update @AlanBarr and sorry to hear you experienced this.

Are you able to provide a screenshot from the email (while omitting personal details) so we can best help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

Sure thing - here we are.  As you can see, it says “To update your account details … “  

This isn’t actually possible although four out of the five people I spoke to didn’t understand that either, and just kept transferring me to someone else.  

F251A5AA-C43F-4B3A-8E83-3A261B67CE09.png

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

Pasted the text in below as it’s thinking about the screenshot!

Hello,

Following your recent query about Volt benefits, our O2 colleagues have passed your query to us to investigate. We’ve made some checks and can confirm that the account holder names on your Virgin Media and O2 accounts don’t match up. This means you won’t be able to enjoy Volt benefits.

To get Volt benefits, both O2 and Virgin Media accounts need to have the same account holder’s name and address. To see the names we have on record, sign in to My O2 or My Virgin Media. To update your account holder details, you can:

• give O2 a call on 202 from your O2 mobile or 0344 809 0202* from a landline to update your O2 account details; or
  • ask the Virgin Media account holder to contact the Virgin Media team on 150from a Virgin Media home phone or 0345 454 1111** from any other number, to update the Virgin Media account details.

For more information about Volt benefits and eligibility, just head to o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/supercharged

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

*Standard UK call charges apply if calls are made from a landline

**For call costs to our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles may vary. 

VOLT5

Help

My Virgin Media

Contact us

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

536C8BBC-950B-4AC5-B6AF-13AD71E3DCC5.png

Thank you for letting me know. In this case, you may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/change-account-holder.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

AlanBarr
On our wavelength

Thanks Akua and I appreciate the reply.

1.  None of the options on that page is suitable for my situation.  Why would I need to send marriage certificates, etc., when nothing is changing or has changed except the (first) name on the account?   Nobody has moved and nobody has died.   So still not sure what to do - but I'll try the form in the first instance, but without certicates and so on as there's nothing to certify).  

2.  I think we all have to agree, don't we, that that email is misleading at best, and should henceforth not be sent out.  

Thanks again. 

Thank you for your response @AlanBarr.

As the changes to the account would pertain to an entirely different person, it wouldn't be as simple as just changing the first name, we would have to make further more complex changes to the account. Hence why we would have to create a new account entirely for this. 

I believe the email was to update the account holder details such as email address and immediate contact points however you would not be able to change the account holder entirely.

Is there anything else I can help with? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team