cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day cancellation

daleanderson895
Joining in

Hi there

First message on here hope someone could help me out.

I am finishing a 12 month contract for broadband and land-line on the 12th, I've been told that I will have to pay double the price for an extra month that I won't be using because of a 30 day notice that you have to give. The problem is I haven't received no emails or messages to tell me this untill I rang today great customer service. I thought if you agree to a 12 month contract it's for 12 months not 13 with extra charges? Is there any way to resolve this.

Thanks in advance 

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You need to give 30 days' notice to terminate with VM as per T&Cs

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

depending on your end date and your billing date you may over pay and then be refunded as explained below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-last-bill

Sololobo
Superstar

If you did not notify Virgin Media of your intention to cancel and provide at least 30 days, and no longer than 90 days, prior to the end of your current contract, then you are liable for any increased charges until the time your contract actually ends.

Referring to the Virgin Media Terms and Conditions https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services 

Under Summary of Terms - How long does your agreement last? - The minimum period: note the following:-

-  This agreement will continue for a minimum amount of time (the minimum period). We will explain the length of your minimum period to you before you start using any services or offers, and your minimum period will also be set out in your order confirmation. This minimum period will typically be 12 months but we may offer services with other minimum periods e.g. 30 days or 6, 12, 18 or 24 months.

-  If you want us to stop providing the services at the end of your minimum period you will need to give us at least 30 days’ notice as set out in Section N of the agreement.

This information is repeated in Section N: 6 of VM's Terms and Conditions.

6. If we and/or Virgin Media Payments:

1. increase our monthly charges under this agreement;

2. increase any of our other charges that are you are required to pay under this agreement in a way which is likely to materially disadvantage you; or

3. make any changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement which are likely to materially disadvantage you; or

4. make any changes to the services which are likely to materially disadvantage you; or

5. if there is a permanent loss of the services,

we will notify you of this and you may cancel this agreement without paying an early disconnection fee by giving us at least 30 days' notice as set out in paragraph N.1. You need to give us that cancellation notice within 30 days of us notifying you. Any increased charges will not apply during your 30 day cancellation notice period.

For others who may be considering cancelling their VM services and are confused about how much notice they have to give, see post #12 in this thread:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/EXACTLY-30-days-notice-no-more-no-l...

We never like to see anyone leave us, however, if a customer wishes to leave, we can book a disconnection no more than 90 days in advance; there should be no reason why this request would be rejected. 

As to you not receiving any notification regarding the end of your contract, again under Summary of Terms see the information noted below.

How long does your agreement last?

The minimum period

-  This agreement will continue for a minimum amount of time (the minimum period). We will explain the length of your minimum period to you before you start using any services or offers, and your minimum period will also be set out in your order confirmation. This minimum period will typically be 12 months but we may offer services with other minimum periods e.g. 30 days or 6, 12, 18 or 24 months.

-  If you want us to stop providing the services at the end of your minimum period you will need to give us at least 30 days’ notice as set out in Section N of the agreement.

- We won't notify you when your minimum period is about to end, so please make sure you make a note of this date.

What happens after the minimum period?

-  Once your minimum period ends, if you haven't asked us to stop providing the services or asked us to change your services as mentioned above, we will continue providing you with the same services (as described in more detail below) on the then current standard monthly price for your services

- Some of the offers or discounts we provide from time to time may last longer than the minimum period and this will have been discussed with you at the time you took up that offer or discount.  After the end of the discount or offer your price will increase to the current price for those services.

-  If the offer or discounted rate lasts for the same time as your minimum period, your price will increase when the minimum period ends.

-  Also, please note that whilst we will have told you the standard monthly price at the time you entered the agreement, you will pay the current price at the end of the minimum period, so the price may have increased during your minimum period. Please check on the Virgin Media website or call us on 150 from a VM landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone for the updated pricing.

Contractually you will have to pay VM any increased charges incurred during the 30 day notice period, and in future read and fully understand the Terms & Conditions in all contracts before you sign up.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.