cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline cannot make or receive calls

sholdship
Joining in

We noticed today that there is no dial tone for our landline and so we cannot make calls.

Also, we are not receiving any calls.

11 REPLIES 11

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sholdship

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. 

I am sorry to hear you have no dial tone currently.

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo.

Please pop back to us when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Vikki

The phone has never been plugged into the master socket; it has always worked on an extension.

We had upgrade work in our area on Tuesday and we think the issue started after this work had been completed.

Regards,

Simon

Thank you for confirming.

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This may include:

• Other telephones
  • Personal Computers
  • Faxes
  • Modems
  • Satellite TV digiboxes
  • Micro-filters
  • ADSL modem or router

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

No, nothing else is connected to the phone socket.

Thank you.

Can you please unplug the phone from the extension and plug it in the Master Socket?

The Master socket will have a larger box and contain a logo with Virgin Media, Ntl, Telewest or Nynex.

Please let us know if the line then works.

Could you also please confirm if Virgin Media installed the additional sockets?

Please pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

There is no option to plug the phone into the master socket (Telewest).

I think I will need an engineer to figure this one out.

The set-up has not changed since Telewest was installed and configured back in 2000.

Thank you.

Sorry I just have a few more checks to go through with you before we can arrange an engineer.

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone 

Please pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

The phone is on its base and is working correctly. We see the same issue with a second phone.

As I already mentioned, there is no other equipment connected to the phone socket.

Okay thank you.

I will send you a private message now so I can get some further details please to book the engineer.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team