cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workmen do some infrastructure upgrade on the street - Phoneline Kaput. Service?????

KingstonHackdof
Joining in

Good PM - Really?

This morning some 3rd party cons started work outside replacing a box in the street. 

No notification to my knowledge hence I courteously queried as the work was adjacent to water meter points. Plenty of smelly fumes from their drilling (power engine/device)

This afternoon I wanted to make a call and my phone line has an echoee, crackle like background but no dial tone.

Well done Virgin Media. Usually quality of service!

I'm hacked off enough recently as I got a new upgrade box pushed onto me but nobody checked that I had a HDMI point on my TV. It is SCART only.  It is 16yrs old mind.  But, hassle and inconvenience.

When I did the online test an hour ago, the system reported my phone service is fine. Is this another great upgrade except it means an old phone won't work?????? Yes, the base/hand set is from over 20 years ago. 

Does VM have a right to force me to BUY a new phone - if that is the issue? Send me a replacement handset!  Note my username please. 

16 REPLIES 16

KingstonHackdof
Joining in
Just to clarify - the contractors were doing work for Virgin Media and others have said that a large amount of new cabling was laid, down to the junction box at the start of the close. When I went to the box about 90mins ago, there was nobody there

Seems 24*7 service goes out of the window with VM.
Safe-to-say, VM is only too happy to mess up clients services on a Saturday morning and leave it in tatters and stuff that people may be unable to contact the household, let alone Virgin Media pull their finger out. 

Hackdof is a very polite phrase for my sentiment to VM right now. Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.

Hi KingstonHackdof

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the phone line issue. Incidentally, were you able to try a new handset, just for the purpose of ruling that out as the reason? Changing some cabling shouldn't cause the handset to stop working. 

Let me know and I'll assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Morning John_GS

I checked yesterday with a different handset and change of batteries too. It would have been an amazing coincidence that the phone unit stops working at the time your 3rd party engineers do an upgrade but I checked the possibility. 

I mentioned the TV rollback experience and every time I start the TV/Cable box in the morning, it is taking 15mins to stabilise the picture. I've done a further full reboot this morning and it was still initially a broken up rolling image. The sound is fine from the outset. 

Perhaps you can check for any start-up diagnostic info from the Samsung box?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for coming back to me. Is the phone line working today or still the same? Regarding the TV, have you tried a different HDMI slot on the TV? Best 

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

One of 1st things was to check if phoneline was working and there is still no dialing tone

The TV doesn't have HDMI (that forced the rollback of packages) - so it is the single SCART conn'n .  It is strange that sound is OK instantly and picture problems stop after 15mins. In fact, the picture has periods of 15-30S when it appears to have stabilised before starting rolling/being broken up again. 

Ta

For the TV there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue. F009845910 - this is the fault number and the estimated fix date is the 30th May. You'll need a tech for the phone line and I'll pop you a PM now to assist further. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Thanks John - Good to know the scrambling is a SNR issue and there is a target date of fix.  I'll wait to hear more info on the phone front. Glad we've got some progress today.

Thanks for joining me on PM, Mark. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This will be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - in the next few hours. You can track, cancel and amend the visit if needed.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team