cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No modem no phone

pdomanski
On our wavelength

My landline was taken off the BT service and connected through my modem. Now if I have a problem with the modem (power outage/ Virgin works etc) my phone line goes dead. I have been in touch with Virgin twice over this but found they are worse than useless, telling me I should use another phone or connect the phone directly to the modem (they call this 'Technical guidance provided'). It seems that no one at Virgin is bright enough to realise that no modem means no phone. What do I do in an emergency?

2 REPLIES 2

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @pdomanski 

I am so sorry to hear this has happened and thank you for your post. 

We do offer back up batteries for customers that are vulnerable or at risk so that in the case the phone loses power they are still able to call emergency services or use their personal alarms. If this applies you then you can make the request for one to be installed when arranging a switch over. 

Otherwise the phone will lose connection when not connected and the best port of call would be to use a mobile in case of emergencies. I am so sorry for the inconvenience this causes but all landline with all providers will be moving to VOIP by 2025. 

Thank you very much, 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @Ashleigh_C 

As a side note please beware that the backup system will only allow calls to 999 and normally the personal alarms or connected to a 3rd party call center by a normal phone number, who then try and contact the owner before they make a call to the emergency services.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks