cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO incoming calls on my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone but Outgoing calls OK. Why ??

MoiraBT67
Tuning in

Hiya,

Just got connected 2 days ago on M250 fibre broadband + phone (weekend chatter).

Was told by engineer to wait 24 h for landline to be fully functional.

Found out yesterday that outgoing calls are fine but can not receive any income  !!

2nd engineer came this morning to say my phone is too old and I need to buy a new VOIP one.

Any idea why my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone would work 1 way and not the other ?

Is there an adaptor for that as these VOIP phones are not cheap new ?

Thanks everyone.

29 REPLIES 29

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MoiraBT67 wrote:

Hello Goslow,

1 very short ringing tone then the call drops and no connection.

(although not answered, I still got charged for calling from my Giffgaff PAYG mobile while testing the landline...!)

Will read all messages and see if any solution in sight as some say I don't need to buy a new VOIP phone but a cable or an adapter. 

Have a read through the topic linked at #2. Your description sounds identical and the OP on that topic did try a replacement 'ringing capacitor' adapter, without success. It may possibly be time for a new phone, unfortunately.

You do not need a VOIP phone for VM's landline via hub. It is designed to work with recent-model, conventional UK domestic phones.

Which model of VM hub are you using MoiraBT67?

There are some images for the Hub 3, 4 and 5 below, about half way down the page, if you are not sure.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

Hub 3 Goslow... Not the best as far as U can read online... 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MoiraBT67 wrote:

Hub 3 Goslow... Not the best as far as U can read online... 

Hub 5 has some ongoing unresolved telephony issues, hence the question, but a Hub 3 should be OK with new, replacement cordless phone system.

Having operated a multi number VOIP platform at home since 2017 with a mix of Cisco ATAs & VOIP phones, I'm quite puzzled as to how difficult it can be for Virgin Media to configure the two port Analogue Telephone Adaptor in their Hubs to behave like a UK telephone line.

To ring a phone one modulates a 25Hz 85volts Trapezoid signal onto the -48volts DC of the phone line.

Do this and any phone rings just like it would on a BT Exchange.

HiMoiraBT67, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the phone line, can you confirm if you have now purchased a new handset and confirm if this has resolved the issue?

Please let us know when the new handset is plugged in if there is still an issue. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

HiMoiraBT67, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the phone line, can you confirm if you have now purchased a new handset and confirm if this has resolved the issue?

Please let us know when the new handset is plugged in if there is still an issue. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hello Chris, 

Our elderly nextdoor neighbour lent us an even older phone than ours to test it. And guess what... his basic large buttons Audioline Phone Easy corded phone is working!

In the meantime, we'll carry on checking what's wrong with our BT diverse. 

So, no need to buy a VOIP phone as wrongly advised by VM engineer.... 

Thanks to all for their input.

It does sound like this is a handset issue as it is working with other handsets. 

Does it have any functions enabled which would stop the handset from dialling out?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hello Chris,

We are going around in circles here. If there was a problem with my handset, nothing would work. However, outgoing calls are. No incoming, no ringing.

Only 1 short quick ring can be heard from my mobile when calling then the call drops - which BTW gets charged by my mobile operator without even answering the call !

Reading the post of ncclarke80 dated 19.12.22 with the same BT phone as me, he encountered the same problem half way through his VM contract which does not make sense if it worked before.

I will contact him to see how he got on.

Thank you anyway.

No worries, It does sound like it is that particular handset as it worked when you tried another handset. 

please let us know how it goes. 

Chris.