cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working since switch over and engineer cost

Juliasquery123
Joining in

I was sent landline adapter for the switch over date. Plugged it in, I can make calls out, people can ring in but I can't hear it ringing. I've checked the volume, done all the usual checks, switching on and off, checking it is in the correct portal in the modem. Also tried reconnecting the landline back in to the original wall socket.. But that is now dead. Rang virgin 8 times re this.. Each time told different dates for engineer, then it hasn't been booked, now told 3rd Jan.. No phone until then!! Also the modem is upstairs and landline connection is downstairs in the hall, told there would be a cost to get extra adaptions made and yet it says no charge on the website. I'm appauled at contact with virgin.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Juliasquery123,

Thanks for coming back to us. We will not charge you for the relocation of your hub/landline when we change you over you our new 21CV service.

If you would like me to get this booked in for you, I will be more than happy to get this arranged for you. Let me know if you would like me to arrange this now or nearer the time for you.

Kind regard Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Juliasquery123,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your landline. Is it just the ringing you're unable to hear? Can you still take an incoming call as normal? Can you confirm which handset you're currently using?

I've ran checks on our end, and can't see any visible faults. Are you able to try a different landline?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi, I can make calls out on it, no problem. I have used my mobile to try and ring in to the landline, the ringer red button flashes but no sound that it is ringing out.. When I pick the handset up it works. The ringer is on high volume. The handset is a binatone Avon 300..it was working fine until the switch over 

@Juliasquery123 wrote:

Hi, I can make calls out on it, no problem. I have used my mobile to try and ring in to the landline, the ringer red button flashes but no sound that it is ringing out.. When I pick the handset up it works. The ringer is on high volume. The handset is a binatone Avon 300..it was working fine until the switch over 

What sort of age is the Binatone phone?

Phones from the early 2000's and before may require a 'ringing capacitor' in the connection to generate the ringing sound from the phone. The ringing capacitor is present in a telephone master socket on the wall but not in the connection from the VM hub.

Are you able to borrow a telephone handset (from a friend, family member, neighbour) and test the connection with a different/newer phone and see if it rings?

Thanks for confirming those details. The telephone sockets on our walls contained a "ringing capacitor" which sends the signal to a phone, causing it to ring. In older phones, it is a common requirement to have this. However, due to the manufacturing process of newer phones, this is not provided in the Hub itself. 

However, you have mentioned that you are using the adapter, which does also provide this capability. Are you able to try a different handset?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I've ordered a new landline phone from Amazon.. A cost I could do without. I will try it with this. Also ad the modem is upstairs in a child's bedroom and the original landline socket in the hall I have told Virgin it is not suitable to have the phone upstairs. I've been told I will need virgin to do additional wiring to move the hub.. The website says there is no additional cost but I have been told by virgin I will need to pay, I've complained, virgin said when the costs comes on the bill they will waiver it, but the cost should not be there in the first place. Please could you advise. Thanks

Hi Juliasquery123,

Thanks for coming back to us. We will not charge you for the relocation of your hub/landline when we change you over you our new 21CV service.

If you would like me to get this booked in for you, I will be more than happy to get this arranged for you. Let me know if you would like me to arrange this now or nearer the time for you.

Kind regard Jodi. 

Hi Jodi, I've telephoned Virgin several times to get a date, was advised 29 Nov, no one arrived, contacted Virgin was advised no record of this, rang again yesterday was told 6 Dec which was ideal and would confirmation email, didn't arrive, rang Virgin this morning, advised no record of this, offered 28 Dec which I can't do. Been offered 3rd Jan... I have no confidence this has been booked unfortunately. Could you please check and ideally a nearer date than a month please! Thanks 

Of course, I can Juliasquery123,

I will pop you over a private message so I can confirm exactly what date ha been arranged for you and we can see what date is best to get the hub relocated for you. 

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat. 

Kind regards Jodi